Thanks

Default Modifying a pink mini strat. What would you do? Please help.

Hi guys. My niece has grown up watching me play and always being surrounded by guitars so naturally she has always wanted to learn. Now she REALLY wants to learn. I took her to the Guitar Center a few times and she loves that little pink mini strat/squier. She loves pink. But I think we all know that that guitar is a.....I don't want to call it a piece of crap because for $99 what do you expect. I know the thing is going to go out of tune all the time, and the pickups are probably going to sound like hell. But the size and the color is perfect. She is a little girl. So I am wondering if changing the pickups and the tuners would help. What do you guys think? Are there any other mini guitars that are actually good? I want to give her a nice Christmas.

Thanks,

Chris

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Welcome to FT, Chris. It's funny - when my kids were tiny, I tried one of those in a local shop and I agree about the tuning. That sucker wouldn't stay in tune even long enough for me to try it out. But back then, there was a non-Squier version, a Fender Mexican-built model that cost $300 and I bought that one. Put some Rio Grande Tallboys in it and it has been awesome. If you can retro-fit some tuners on the pinkster, it should be OK - wouldn't even mess with the pickups. I'm assuming it has a hard-tail bridge, not a trem.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Welcome to FenderTalk, Chris! Follow Mike's advice and you'll be doing good. I'm very glad that you have someone in the family that you can pass your gift of music to.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

What they said. If she likes playing it she'll grow out of it before long and then you can invest some $$ knowing she will keep at it. But keep the pink thing so she can remember her history when she's famous.....
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Thanks

Thanks guys. I truly appreciate your help.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Ditto. Also there is the Daisy Rock brand for lil gals. I haven't personally played one but I know they specialize in small guitars for little hands.
    I'm not sayin' that, I'm just sayin'......