Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FT Member
    Thanks

Ah, well, I didn't have the funds to buy the Orbit, yet...I needed to buy some other samples and modules for my audio work.

Anyhow, I also have a Digitech GSP 2101 Studio Tube single S-Disc I bought and gigged with back in 94/95. I have been jumping through the SysEx hoops to back up both my Cyber Twin and 2101 programs and full system dumps using Midi-Ox. My soundcard is a PreSonus FireStudioMobile. Midi-Ox allows control of these units as well, so, at least one can experience switching programs without touching the big scroll wheels and scrolling through programs.

SysEx dumps are pretty easy once you realize how to manually jump through the hoops. I did need to create an exel worksheet to keep track I use my Cyber Twin for much of the music I record, the 2101 not so much. My plan now is to get the 2101 acting more like a multiFX stompbox to enhance the really limited fx of the Cyber Twin.

FT Member
    Thanks

So, maybe I should start a new thread, although this is still very much related to this topic.

Yesterday I figured out how to get my midi controller talking to my Cyber Twin. Frankly, I was blown away and played for about 8 hours once I got it all set up. I thought it would be more of a hassle than it turned out to be. I was able to map around 20 parameters to my old Evolution UC-33, which is not a footcontroller. I pretty much mapped the controller to nearly every parameter the manual says can be controlled via typical cc routing.

The great thing about controlling the CT like this is you can dial in sounds while listening/playing in optimal throw for the amp. Personally, I have never been able to do such a thing before and got mesmerized by the capability. No more having to walk across the room to dial in any parameter! There is a major down side: it is not easy to read the display on the amp from 4 or 5 paces away. Not being able to read the display isn't a big enough problem to be detrimental to adjusting parameters with your ears in the sweet spot, which is a deal-breaker. It is a wonderful sensation to dial out harshness and know what it sounds like where the amp is throwing rather than walking back and forth to the amp controls and guess what you need to dial in; yo-yoing back and forth, ugh!.

I learned, as well, that the Tape Delay is awesome. I was on Hanger 10 preset, and couldn't stop playing with the Tape Delay. I think I was on that patch alone for 4hrs!

At first, I thought I was going overboard mapping so many parameters, but you really do need all the knobs (witch hat and fx); Reverb Dwell and the FX bypass AND FX amount (wet/dry) are critical, so don't skip those. I mapped all the Reverb controls: Reverb Time, Tone, Dwell and Diffusion and used those controls much more often than anticipated.

I didn't mind not having footcontroller, although I'll get that going too at some point. The thought of having 5 expression pedals doesn't sound appealing. I learned that controlling so many parameters from listening in the amp throw is the way the Cyber amps were meant to be used. Anyone who complains about the Cybers not sounding good has never used it like this.

Thanks for listening
    _todd

FT Member
    Thanks

talkin to myself, maybe this will help someone

So, after getting a midi controller working with my CT as I described, my next thing I wanted to do is test sending control voltage from Propellerhead Reason to modulate parameters of my CT and Digitech GSP 2101. I have my 2101 sitting on my desk, so I thought I'd give it a little Sunday try. Surprisingly, it was really easy to set up and I had Matrix cv Automating multiple fx parameters in no time. It wasn't testing...it worked straight away. Next time I will get Reason talking to the CT. I am amazed at what can be done with "old" modern gear. That said, looks like I may need some midi merge boxes...

FT Member
    Thanks

I received a virtually unused Digitech GSP 2101 Footcontroller today. The plastic film is still on the display, there is literally no dust anywhere. This is my first ever ebay auction. My winning bid was €58.00+€20.00 shipping. The vendor said unused condition and it is. It would be obvious cuz these footcontrollers are well known to be the opposite of durable. I bought it in "untested condition" which made me a little nervous, but it worked like new when I tested it. I hope to put it through its paces soon.

FT Member
    Thanks

Still talkin to myself...nevermind... Like I said before, maybe it will help someone

I spent most of yesterday routing midi cc via Propellerhead Reason to my Cyber Twin and Digitech GSP 2101.

From Reason version 8 they added an new device they named External Midi Instrument. I also use my Evolution UC33 to adjust parameters real time. I had been thinking I would need a midi merge box for mixing the GSP 2101 midi out with the UC33...but I realized I could use Reason as a midi mixer.

My physical midi routing is
    Program Changes: GSP 2101 FC out>GSP 2101 Powered FC In
    CC: UC33 midi out > Presonus Firestudio Mobile Midi In > Presonus Firestudio Mobile Midi Out > GSP 2101 PreAmp Midi In > GSP 2101 PreAmp Midi Out > Cyber Twin Midi In

The 2101 has midi merge functionality and allows sending FC messages to CT along with midi cc from computer. I have the GSP2101 FC expression pedal on CC11.

Then in Reason, set up midi controllers & then create an External Midi Instrument for each parameter you want to control. 18 CCs for CT + 10 CCs for GSP2101 is 28 External Midi Instruments Then set the midi channels and cc. Sounds simple enough. I didn't finish all my cc mapping.

The CT and 2101 handle CC differently. The CT provides a listing CC numbers to map to, you don't choose whatever parameter you want to control, per se. The 2101 allows a maximum of 10 CC links to whichever parameter you want to control.

For my purposes, I want the UC33 to be a "remote" for some parameters for Real Time control adjustments on the fly and other parameters I want to control from Reason with the Matrix or Lectric Panda's Shape and/or Korde...or automation drawn in a sequencer lane should work too, there are many possibilities.

To map UC33 knobs and faders set up remote mapping to the knob on the specific External Midi Instrument you want in normal Reason fashion. I was struggling a bit with this because the UC33 needed to be on UC33 factory program 21 to work correctly with Reason. Once I loaded prog 21; Reason recognised the UC33 knobs and faders correctly.

The biggest problem for controlling parameters I had was the Cyber Twin incorrectly rendering the UC33 knobs and faders values; the parameter values were unstable, jumping all over the place. You don't really want your master volume jumping around erratically! At first I thought it was the UC33 and Reason not communicating properly because I have had issues in the past with those two talking to each other. My previous experiences of poor midi tracking was user error, I had not loaded UC33 program 21... Now I know. The actual issue is the Cyber Twin can foul midi CC if you hot swap midi connections or send a CC conflict. Powering on the CT and 2101 in the correct sequence once CCs are not conflicting fixed the erratic knob behavior.

The second thing to be aware of is the Cyber Twin's motorised knobs. I'm guessing it's probably not good for those robot pots to be chasing wildly modulated CV. If you can disable the robotic knobs from chasing, I haven't figured it out. I think it's better to just have Real Time physical control (human fingers) or gentle human-like (DAW) sequencer modulation to avoid damaging the motorised knobs.

The other important thing is the Cyber Twin display. Whenever a parameter value it's changed, the CT display shows that parameter. If there are 10 parameters being modulated simultaneously, the display is going to go crazy. I will experiment with that later today. The 2101 allows the cc parameters display to be disabled; if the Cyber Twin does, it isn't in the manual.

So, that's where I got to as of today. I am sure I'll be back soon to ramble on some more about it and make some music at some point
    Last edited by ctreitzell; 09-16-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

If a Cybertwin is in the woods, does it make a sound?
    Sorry, Man. I don't know a thing about the rare species known as Cybertwin. I guess our few CT owners are all asleep. We are a small forum so one of them may resurface eventually. Good luck finding a friend. I talk to myself a lot too
    I'm not sayin' that, I'm just sayin'......

Thanks

You aren't talking to yourself... just a brick wall! I just got an original Cybertwin and have been trying to find all the information I can on it. I still need to get a manual so I can better understand the amp. I tried following as best as I can but I can honestly say I have no Idea what you are talking about... With the limited knowledge I have with this amp it's a bit overwhelming. However, I am really loving it so far. I haven't ventured much with dialing in effects. I don't think i've scrolled all the way through them yet. I have found a few presets I really like and have mainly just played them while trying to get used to the amp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I'll chime in to make you feel better. I love my Cyber twin. I am a member of this forum due to my C/T I found in in a local shop and picked it up for about a grand brand new, the owner had it in the shop for awhile and wanted it gone. I read everything I could find on it and really enjoyed reading the history behind it's development in the book The Sole of Tone By Tom Wheeler. I regret not getting the Cyber controller software that was being sold by a third party when it was available. it would have been a nice thing to have now.
    Ron

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c.ian.hearn View Post
    I still need to get a manual so I can better understand the amp.
    Reference and/or download the manual here.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/37...yber-Twin.html

FT Member
    Thanks

it's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself. I used to think this midi stuff was daunting, too...but it is pretty easy. You just need to be willing to work on it for a while. Guys, seriously, get a midi controller with knobs and faders. With the CT you really only need 18 knobs and/or faders. It is a whole new world of control with a midi controller, you find yourself using one program/ patch for extended periods. As I said, I have an old Evolution UC33 which is inexpensive but big enough that it won't scoot around when twisting knobs. You can still use footcontroller as well, and an expression pedal. The harder part is labelling which knob controls which parameter once mapped. UC33 is good for that because it has vinyl overlays to write on. I don't know if it possible to control more parameters than 18. You MUST have the manual because in the manual there is a table showing the continuous controller channels. The user has no control over assigning parameters CC channel numbers; I think they are hard coded into the CT firmware. I wonder if Cyber Cobtroller software allows new CC assignments? I doubt it. I wish I had bought that software, too. All that said, 4 fx parameters is sufficient, especially when there are always 5 parameters available via CC for reverb, which makes HUGE differences in how the fx routing works and thus how it sounds.