Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Is this James Burton Telecaster the real deal?

Hi everyone I've been looking at this James Burton Telecaster and ask the guy to send me some photos of the guitar. The main thing that concerns me is the serial number dating on the headstock is for a 94 early 95.

I asked the guy about it and here was his response as per his add.

2007, I think although the headstock serial number says in the late 90's.
    These were a supply of old necks that they used up on these later guitars. (Info was supplied by Cameron Miller from Fender, so he should know what he's talking about, I guess.)
    3 special James Burton custom pickups, S switching and so a great range of tones available. Gold hardware is a bit marked but guitar is almost unplayed. Original tweed case.

what do you guys think? dose it sound legit or not? Thanks for any help.

Original advert: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-det...dId=1122192579
    Last edited by JackWilliam; 08-29-2016 at 06:51 AM.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Jack,

Welcome to the forum. I'm not a Tele guy so I can't help much more than telling you that the guys may need a lot more information including pictures in order to help you out. See if you can come up with more details. Do you have a link to the original listing ?

Good luck with it

Ron
    Ron

Thanks

I'm not sure if the story on the neck he is telling me is correct or not ? I don't know enough about the James Burton Telecaster. You wouldn't think Fender would put an old neck on it would you?

Thanks.
    Last edited by JackWilliam; 08-29-2016 at 09:43 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoneB View Post
    Jack,

Welcome to the forum. I'm not a Tele guy so I can't help much more than telling you that the guys may need a lot more information including pictures in order to help you out. See if you can come up with more details. Do you have a link to the original listing ?

Good luck with it

Ron
    Thanks Ron for the reply. I have added the link to the guitar I'm looking at hope this helps.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Howdy Jack, and welcome to FenderTalk! I just did a quick search on Ebay and the price on this ad looks too high for that guitar, even if it comes with all the case candy. For that sum the gold hardware should be flawless. And that neck question, that is a valid concern. While Fender occasionally gets a bit ahead on parts, I cannot imagine that they could get 10 years ahead on necks, that is crazy talk. While it says that info comes from Fender, I seriously doubt the validity. Keep looking and find a better deal.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SAguitar For This Useful Post:

willkupers (09-08-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
    Howdy Jack, and welcome to FenderTalk! I just did a quick search on Ebay and the price on this ad looks too high for that guitar, even if it comes with all the case candy. For that sum the gold hardware should be flawless. And that neck question, that is a valid concern. While Fender occasionally gets a bit ahead on parts, I cannot imagine that they could get 10 years ahead on necks, that is crazy talk. While it says that info comes from Fender, I seriously doubt the validity. Keep looking and find a better deal.
    Thanks for the welcome mate. Yes I agree, I can't imagine Fender doing that putting an 10 year old neck on the guitar. I better keep looking I think. Thanks for the reply.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Out of curiosity, I'd ask the seller to provide Cameron Miller's contact details and then check out the provenance myself (by contacting Fender independently via customer service).
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Stan, regarding the price, I believe it's Aussie dollars which would be a little over $1400 USD. JW, I'd suggest floating this question on the TDPRI forum. It's quite intriguing, and I would be surprised if FMIC would put a NOS neck on a new body without making it public knowledge, since they are fully aware of how the public relies upon their serial numbers for authentication. And, if you're in the Sydney area, there's a fellow named Alistair Johnson (he's Ajay Tele on this forum but has been scarce for a few years) who owns more Teles than any man I've ever heard of. He's in Sydney and might be able to enlighten you.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bb View Post
    Out of curiosity, I'd ask the seller to provide Cameron Miller's contact details and then check out the provenance myself (by contacting Fender independently via customer service).

Thanks for the reply, I will try and see if I can get any information out of the Fender customer service department. It would be good to know what their thoughts are.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tele savalas View Post
    Stan, regarding the price, I believe it's Aussie dollars which would be a little over $1400 USD. JW, I'd suggest floating this question on the TDPRI forum. It's quite intriguing, and I would be surprised if FMIC would put a NOS neck on a new body without making it public knowledge, since they are fully aware of how the public relies upon their serial numbers for authentication. And, if you're in the Sydney area, there's a fellow named Alistair Johnson (he's Ajay Tele on this forum but has been scarce for a few years) who owns more Teles than any man I've ever heard of. He's in Sydney and might be able to enlighten you.
    Thanks for the reply, I'm in Brisbane but it would be good to get Alistair Johnson thoughts. Myself I find it a bit strange Fender doing this with a neck that far out of date from the rest of the guitar.
    Last edited by JackWilliam; 08-29-2016 at 08:19 PM.