Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fenderfied
    Thanks

Default Telecaster Neck Issue

Guys,

I need some advice if you please:

I purchased a 1990/91 American Standard Tele a few years ago for not a lot of money.

I've kept it at my place near the coast, which I use in the Summer months. It's been hanging on the wall next to an American Deluxe Strat from 2009, which I also purchased for little money.

The house has been shut up for most of the Winter (mild this year).

However, when I've gone to play the Tele recently, the neck has some issues. The back of the neck has crazed badly and the skunk stripe is protruding at the top of the neck (down to about the third fret) by about 0.010".

The Strat, hanging alongside, is still in perfect condition.

I'm assuming the neck on the Tele is nitro finished and the cold/damp may have caused the issue, although the temp/humidity changes will not have been severe time-wise.

I've yet to remove the strings from the guitar and see if the skunk stripe protrusion lessens with less relief on the neck but I fear the glue has broken down in that area causing the skunk stripe to move.

My dilemma is this:

1) Is a neck problem of this kind repairable? The crazing doesn't worry me but the skunk stripe breaking loose does.
    2) Would I be better off buying a new neck but keep the old one for provenance, should I sell the guitar down the line?
    3) Official replacement Fender necks are expensive here in the UK, so would a licensed neck or artisan neck from another manufacturer be a better bet?

I'm not too bothered about keeping it all Fender original as the guitar is a player for me foremost.

My current favourite guitar (neck wise) is a Collings 290. If I could get an aftermarket Tele neck to the same dimensions I'd be more than a happy camper.

I will try to post pictures of my afflicted Tele when I get a chance but I'd like your opinions on realistic options in the first instance.

Thanks in advance

Bb.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I can't help but wonder that if Fender saw it they might just say "that should Never have happened" and do something to help you. Because it shouldn't have happened. Regardless of its age. It sounds like a glue bonding issue, not an environmental issue. If they wont do anything, you could try to pry it out enough to re-glue it back in....
    Just my 2c worth....
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Holy Crap Cakes! That's one I've never encountered before. You do have a lot of avenues in front of you. A real repair might cost as much as a decent replacement neck. I would take Lucky's advice and see if Fender could help you out.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

For what its worth, I'm wondering if its worth it to get a replacement neck, just for now. This way, you get to play it and if you do sell it eventually, you can put the original neck back on, and get a body to put your replacement neck on - this will be a nice way to experiment. Meanwhile, I'm wondering if you can send the neck away to Fender to have them fix it.

Srini

Fenderfied
    Thanks

The more I look at it the more I think it might be just the finish cracking up. I might just remove the neck and remove the finish on the back of the neck to see if the skunk stripe has actually lifted. I'm in two minds as to what to do:

1) Try to sand it down and fix it
    2) As Srini suggests - get a new neck and keep the original if I ever wish to sell it.

Thing is, it's only an American Standard from the 1990s, so no real valuable instrument.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Heck, I'd try number one first, and if necessary, move to step two! You got this.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
    Heck, I'd try number one first, and if necessary, move to step two! You got this.
    +1 If you're lucky it's not what you think it is....if not you get a new neck and can tinker with the issues of the original at your leisure.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Call me a contrarian, but I actually see this as an opportunity to try out a roasted maple neck, stainless steel frets and a Plek job..:)

Srini

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Srini For This Useful Post:

MykWiz (07-31-2016)

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Srini View Post
    Call me a contrarian, but I actually see this as an opportunity to try out a roasted maple neck, stainless steel frets and a Plek job..:)

Srini
    Roasted Maple necks are the BOMB! I've got a Roasted Quartersawn Maple and a Roasted Birdseye Maple - both with SS frets. Throw on Doc's special formula of Tru Oil and Gun Wax and you've got yourself a keeper for sure!

~MW
    "But hey, I like these cheap riffs, they make me happy and alive each day here, when all seems lost and grey good riff pump blood stronger, sweat visit your face and - you feel then all right!"~ Elvir 2015

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Srini View Post

Srini
    Well now there's someone turning lemons into lemonade! ; )