Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I do it?

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tele savalas View Post
    Tennessee to Maryland - I'm predicting Wednesday. Thursday at the latest.
    Looks like you're right on the money, Mike. The UPS tracking information says Wednesday. The forecast says mid 90s for Wednesday not counting the heat index, and its going to sit in that truck most of the day. Maybe I should just let it sit in the case all night and open it Thursday, eh?

Srini

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bb View Post
    3 grand for a 339 is just ridiculous!

You made the right choice.
    Tell me about it, Cap'n! And that 339 wasn't particularly ornate either. I remember a couple of years back, seeing brand new 339s in the Musicians Friend catalog for less than 2K. On the other hand, 336s have always been expensive, and I'll get to find out soon if it rates as a 5K-6K guitar; but then I got it for 2K, so I'm sure its worth at least that! I'll go get a set of 11s today and wait!

Srini

Fender Lover
    Thanks

These 339-ish models remind me to Alvin Lee! If I could to make a pick I would always pick a one with big headstock and veneer like Custom does! Amount you you have spend for this guitar is far, far of my abilities for now and future, but that's not good comparison - You picked nice, valuable Gibby thing and may you serve to you in well and health.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Trust me, Elvir, I am in no way deserving of a fine instrument like this - but, hey, the opportunity presented itself! Maybe I'll even use the bridge PU more often now..:)

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Srini View Post
    Trust me, Elvir, I am in no way deserving of a fine instrument like this - but, hey, the opportunity presented itself! Maybe I'll even use the bridge PU more often now..:)
    Don't by so humble... everybody deserves a chance to be happy. If I could live in the States I'm afraid that I would spend my incomes for so many gear parts that I can now just watch on eBay or Musicians friend... BUT using bridge PU is - mandatory! Enjoy dude.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Srini View Post
    Tell me about it, Cap'n! And that 339 wasn't particularly ornate either. I remember a couple of years back, seeing brand new 339s in the Musicians Friend catalog for less than 2K. On the other hand, 336s have always been expensive, and I'll get to find out soon if it rates as a 5K-6K guitar; but then I got it for 2K, so I'm sure its worth at least that! I'll go get a set of 11s today and wait!

Srini
    I've briefly owned two ES339s. Both were around 1200 (British Pounds) new! One was flamed sunburst, the other plain red cherry. Both were (supposedly) Plek'd but both suffered from B string buzz. set-up issues. I returned both to the Gibson dealers and moved on.

Hope the 336 is a cut above!
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Me too, Capn. I really liked the one I played at Chuck's, but as you say (and as do some other people online), Gibsons tend to suffer from nut and setup issues just like you described. My sense is that, given the price I got, I could always take it to Phil to look at the nut, and perhaps replace it with an Earvana, which I have on my other guitars. AT some point, I see myself potentially getting it refretted with 6100s and re-Plek'ed at Phil's. Hopefully that won't be right away.

The good news is - UPS tracking says it got to Laurel, MD and is out for delivery!

Srini

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Did I just hear a truck?
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tele savalas View Post
    Did I just hear a truck?
    What??? Where??? Did I miss it?????

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I need to know the EXACT ROUTE, IMMEDIATELY... (It's insured, isn't it?)
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....