Fenderfied
    Thanks

Default If you've got some loose change lying about...

I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Juicy!
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Sorry but that's just nuts. Please someone tell me what makes this so so special it can justify that kind of money. I get it the amp was made by some tube god and is highly sought after but IMO it's all hype and Joe B. among others is drinking the kool-aid. It's a circuit made of wire tubes and electronic components. I'll bet a guy with good ears could take my Cyber Twin and dial in that sound.

I'm not being a wise ass I'm just amazed anyone would spend that kind of money on an amp, even a 59 Les Paul at $250K Guys on this forum can build guitars that sound as good even better.

So fill me in what am I missing...Is it 95% hype and 5% special tones ?

Ron
    Ron

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

There's no question that the amp is heavily hyped, but the interesting thing is that prominent Dumble users have actually tried to tone down the hype - including Joe B. There's a series of youtube clips where he said he sold all his Dumbles in favor of vintage tweed Twins and Bassmans. Robben Ford, in one of his earlier instructional videos, said that nobody needs a Dumble, that a good Twin will do the job. Indeed, Robben seems to do just fine with a pedal in front of a Twin when occasion calls for it. Both Robben and Larry Carlton have switched to Bludotones - granted its a Dumble clone, but 4K to 5K is a lot better than 100K.

Of all ironies, you can watch these two clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-KDqC63rs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de4SW41qbzw

and you'll hear Robben quote Dumble himself as saying "they'll get there with solid state", and that Robben believes that the Roland Blues Cube is very, very close - for 700 bucks!

Its hard to tell how much of this is coming from his having to push Roland products that bear his signature in the tone capsule, but technology is getting there, and Dumble himself realized it years ago. I must say that some of the clips I've heard from the AxeFx line, particularly the AX8, sound pretty damn good to me, and no worse than a real Dumble.

So, Ron, I guess I'm agreeing with you about the hype. Then again, back in the day when Dumbles were the only game in town, you couldn't buy a personal computer, much less an iphone which can rival the smaller mainframes of those days. I sure feel lucky to be living in this day and age.

Srini

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoneB View Post
    Sorry but that's just nuts. Please someone tell me what makes this so so special it can justify that kind of money. I get it the amp was made by some tube god and is highly sought after but IMO it's all hype and Joe B. among others is drinking the kool-aid. It's a circuit made of wire tubes and electronic components. I'll bet a guy with good ears could take my Cyber Twin and dial in that sound.

I'm not being a wise ass I'm just amazed anyone would spend that kind of money on an amp, even a 59 Les Paul at $250K Guys on this forum can build guitars that sound as good even better.

So fill me in what am I missing...Is it 95% hype and 5% special tones ?

Ron

I'm with you, Ron.
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

This is all above my pay grade! I'm pretty happy with the tones I'm getting, and I'll never get to test drive one of those bad boys anyway.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I'm almost tempted to take a trip to Denmark St and plug-in to see what the hype is all about but I'm not a good enough guitar player to make the most of an amp like that.

Also, to put it into perspective - the UK asking price for that amp is twice the cost of the first house I purchased over 30 years ago.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bb View Post
    I'm almost tempted to take a trip to Denmark St and plug-in to see what the hype is all about but I'm not a good enough guitar player to make the most of an amp like that.

Also, to put it into perspective - the UK asking price for that amp is twice the cost of the first house I purchased over 30 years ago.
    My first condo (also about 30 years back) was about 80% of the price you mentioned, although after Thursday, probably more like 90%? I wonder how much the drop was....

Anyway, I'd say, go do it! Let us know what you think!

Srini

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Can't be any good, only goes up to 10
    http://www.fendertalk.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic581_3.gif

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Man, I respect those gears that belongs to some artist, signature gear too, but I think that sometime prices are impudently high, even for some serious collectors... but, here we says: who has enough fat, then he put it also on its b@lls. Enough said. Maybe I'm stupid but I would like rather some tube powered Marshall.