Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Default Patina, crud, whatever you call it...

... it has to go. How would you approach this stuff?

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

That's a tough one Mike. I might think about having them completely stripped and re-plated. Anything you do to these to remove the crud is just going to expose bare metal or the original pitted surface and the crud will come back pretty quickly. It's a losing battle I have a brand new $100,000.00 machine and it's brand new spindle nose developed a big crud spot on the side, It's just a cosmetic thing but drives me nuts. I polished off the crud just to make it look better and it comes back in a few days. Once a surface begins to oxidize it just continues unless serious steps are taken to reverse the condition.

Look for a good anodize vendor in your area they may also do heavy metals. You may be able to have these done in Electroless nickle. It looks as good as Chrome plate.

Keep us posted
    Ron

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Thanks, Ron. What would re-plating do to the value of a vintage guitar? I guess is should add that the guitar belongs to a friend whose dad passed it to her. He was a notable player.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Ron is pretty much right, but there are some things you could try which would probably last. Back in the day when "biker" used to mean "guy working hard but still too poor to buy chrome", there were magazine articles about things like this; only they were motorcycle parts, not guitar. The theories still apply. On the trem arm and any aluminum parts, you can polish up a really nice sheen that will slowly fade and if ignored long enough will look just like it does now. Once you bring up a shine, though, it is easy to maintain. Never-Dull and Semichrome are two products that will work nicely. The pole screw heads can be buffed off as well but since they are steel, will need something to retard "rust renewal". Some clear nail polish would last a long time. I would start with a small wire wheel and then lightly sand before coating. The control indicators I would do the same way. Those look to be zinc plated but they may just clean off and be OK. The green could just be an accumulation of finger gunk that has made a life for itself... kinda like moss... Anyway, if originality is important, these are steps I would perform; rather than "toss and replace", even if parts were available. But then, I'm a "salvage the original at any cost" ridiculous kinda guy....

PS... clean the indicators with a little diluted white vinegar... they will probably look new again.
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to badxmpl For This Useful Post:

tele savalas (06-21-2016)

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tele savalas View Post
    Thanks, Ron. What would re-plating do to the value of a vintage guitar? I guess is should add that the guitar belongs to a friend whose dad passed it to her. He was a notable player.
    In that case I would not re-plate it. Bad had some real good information and I would do what he suggested before having them done over.
    Ron

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Mike,

Rather than jump in and re-plate, I'd try this tried & tested product on all those parts. I've used it to great effect in the past to restore old chromed metalwork to good health (bike parts n' stuff).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/35138...ype=pla&crdt=0

It'll bring those guitar parts up to a proper aged patina but without the crud for sure.
    Last edited by Captain Bb; 06-21-2016 at 03:33 PM.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Bb For This Useful Post:

tele savalas (06-21-2016)

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

What model of Gibson is this poor creature?
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Not sure, but I hope to find out either Friday or Sunday.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Based on the distribution of corrosion and the fact that this guitar has been locked in a case for years, I'm betting that the corrosion is the result of gas released from the old celluloid pickguard. I am going to advise Holly to set the pickguard aside and replace it with a non celluloid replica. The celluloid guard should be kept somewhere safe but with room to gas off or it will smother in it's own gases (much as I do when I camp out in a tent).
    Last edited by tele savalas; 06-23-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

My brother stored a modern strat under a bed in an apartment that suffered from mildew and mold problems that came from a neglected crawl space situation. It looked a lot like this one after a few years.
    I'm not sayin' that, I'm just sayin'......