FT Member
    Thanks

Default Lindy Fralin and other high end MIM Fender pickups

I recently purchased and had installed two different sets of Lindy Fralin pickups in two nice strats of mine. I really dig these pickups.

First I had the 'Vintage Hot' set put in a brand new black with maple fret board MIM. I also installed Fender locking tuners and American series string trees and an American five way switch. I super dig this guitar.

The second is set of Lindy Fralin Blues Specials I purchased and had installed in a beautiful Squiers Classic Vibe 50's Anniversary gold metallic one that I also had a very complimenting snakeskin pickguard put on. The snakeskin pick guard, gold finish and tan aged looking pickup covers really look cool.

Both of these have the American Standard style bridge tone mod wiring. The black MIM has black pickup covers.

Both of these guitars are among my favorites and play and look great. The gold one has a spectacular flamed neck with transverse flames going every half inch from the heel to the top of the head stock. This is an incredible neck to find on a Squiers Classic Vibe.

I will definitely buy another set of Lindy Fralin's pickups.

I had serious shoulder surgery recently and am in pain, plus a little irritable. I will get some nice pictures posted before too long. These indeed are beautiful guitars.

Plus I have both a brand new Fender Classic Player Series 60s Sonic Blue strat with rosewood fret board and a brand new Classic Series Lacquer 60s super beautiful three tone sun burst, two piece body strat, with a rosewood fret board.

This burst Lacquer one is probably the all time favorite strat that I have owned, with strong stock pickups and wonderful tone.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Lindy's a great guy. I lived a few blocks from him in the early 90's, when he was still winding pickups in his apartment. I bought a new American Standard Strat in '89 and brought it to Lindy's apartment in 1990. He installed a set of his only wind at the time (Vintage Hot). After a year or two, I brought it back and asked if he could wind a slightly hotter bridge pickup for me. When I went back over, he said, "I hope you don't mind but I played your guitar and my pickups are so much better now that I was embarrassed". He had installed a full new set, with an over-wound bridge pickup and a blend pot. He charged me the grand sum of $35. Still have them in that axe, but I hardly ever play it now for a few reasons - the sound of those pickups is most definitely NOT one of the reasons.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

FT Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tele savalas View Post
    Lindy's a great guy. I lived a few blocks from him in the early 90's, when he was still winding pickups in his apartment. I bought a new American Standard Strat in '89 and brought it to Lindy's apartment in 1990. He installed a set of his only wind at the time (Vintage Hot). After a year or two, I brought it back and asked if he could wind a slightly hotter bridge pickup for me. When I went back over, he said, "I hope you don't mind but I played your guitar and my pickups are so much better now that I was embarrassed". He had installed a full new set, with an over-wound bridge pickup and a blend pot. He charged me the grand sum of $35. Still have them in that axe, but I hardly ever play it now for a few reasons - the sound of those pickups is most definitely NOT one of the reasons.
    Very interesting Lindy Fralin story about age old Vintage Hot pickups.

Sometimes it's the non-topic specific things that you read on the forum that is more interesting than the main ideas. That is often when it is the best of conversation with the most being learned.

I dig my collection, especially with my recent upgrades of new higher quality guitars and pickups, locking tuners, etc.