Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Default Interesting Tele sighting

So, I happened to be in Falls Church, VA this afternoon and I drove through this mini strip mall (more like a collection of 6 or 7 small stores) with a store called Action Music, and I figured what the hey, and went in. Small store, some nice gear - a bunch of Boogies and Charvels; you get the idea. As I was walking out, I spotted an old, old Tele in a glass case and had to have a closer look.

It was a '57 with a very worn blondish finish, probably a butterscotch? Very nicely worn maple neck and fingerboard...beautiful! I read the price tag and description, and it was something 6 grand. I thought that might be rather low for something like that until I looked closer. The front pickup was a P90 (what???) and the bridge was new with individual saddles.

I can see why someone might do that to improve playability and also the pickup change, but wouldn't you want to keep the old parts and put them back on when you sell? Now I'm thinking 6 grand might be too much! Of course, I don't know much about Teles, so maybe its just right.

Srini

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Southworth wouldn't have had anything to do with that abomination. It might be worth 6 Grand if someone could restore it without drilling.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

I was actually reminded of Southworth when I saw that glass case. I'm not sure where they moved, but they used to be a couple of miles from where I live in Bethesda, and then one day they were gone! I bought a '64 Deluxe Reverb there once, and always enjoyed going in there just to drool.

That said, if it can be restored, wouldn't it be worth a lot more than 6 Gs?

Srini

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Well, a P90 is substantially larger than a Tele's neck pickup (or are you talking about the bridge pickup?). If you're referring to the neck pup, then some routing had to be done to stuff it in there. That would knock down the value of it considerably. If you had to replace anything, you'd have to get actual '57 pickups and bridge and those would not come cheap.

It's a pity, but way back then they were just guitars and none of realized they would be worth so dang much in this distant future.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

That P90 was the neck pickup - the bridge pickup looked like it could well have been the original, but I have no way of knowing that. You're right, Stan, I didn't think about the routing; for some reason I assumed it was all in the pickguard and that there was a swimming pool route inside. Now that you mention it, I realize they didn't do that kind of routing those days.

What a shame - other than those mods, it looked like such a beauty, especially the neck.

Srini