Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

And the Quest goes on...
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Certainly does, Stan, and I think I may be roughly in the ballpark now, but with tons of tweaking ahead of me. I've added one more signal path using the Thru of the Pangea, and going directly to the UR44 without an IR. After setting the input levels, I brought the fader down on that track completely so I'm not monitoring the raw signal. So now, even if I'm not thrilled with the Pangea's truncation of IRs, I can trash that track afterwards and apply IRs to the raw track as an insert in Cubase, and give myself the ability to pick cabinets after the fact.

I must be honest, though, and admit that I'm not really detecting any huge difference between the truncated and full IRs - could be I'm just getting old. A younger set of ears could probably hear the difference!

Srini
    Attached Images Attached Images

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Alright!!! Success!!

A long and winding road, though - including returning the Pangea. I still don't understand why, but even though it sounded fine while I was playing through it, while soloing the track I could hear it cutting off the notes. I scoured through forums and their site, such as it is, and really found nothing. The only guy who even has it was at TGP, and his post suggested that the 20ms limitation may have something to do with it. At that point, I had had enough and called Steve's Music, who treated me really well and said, no sweat just send it back.

As I was driving to the post office to send it off, I kept thinking about which other unit I could buy instead, then it hit me - I could do the same thing without it. The only thing I needed to do was to turn on the speaker sim in the TC Nova, which is basically an EQ. No IRs, or fancy analog filters, but just cuts off the harsh, sizzling highs that you get with the raw signal. To me, that seems good enough for the wet signal that surrounds the center tone, especially if you keep the levels low, but enough for the added dimensionality.

I tested it out in Cubase, and it worked like a charm. So, on all lead parts (I don't think you want that kind of fatness in rhythm parts, unless you're going for a heavily OD'ed part, which I never do), I have two mono tracks and one stereo FX track, but I only monitor the JDX track with a touch of reverb on the interface (it doesn't print the reverb). Of course, I now have to find the right IR to apply to the raw track so it blends well with the JDX tone.

Srini
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Ladies and gentlemen, Srini knocks one out of the park!

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Thanks, Stan, and much of the credit goes to you for recommending the JDX - that box is really something!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You're still welcome, Srini! I'm glad to spread the word. I have another friend here that I play with often and he has started using one also. And this guy, like a lot of us was never satisfied, and used to spend a lot of time, changing mics and carefully adjusting mic position on his cabinet every time we'd set up. Now he is relatively satisfied. He says that the tone may not be "perfect," but at least it is the same every time, and that takes one big hassle out of the equation.

I recently tried to go back to mic-ing the cab, just trying to see if I could improve on what I was getting. Then I put the JDX back in the signal chain and A/B'd the setup. I was much happier with the JDX in there, that's where I'm at! Radial Engineering makes some great products.