Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Default Solution to monitoring (I think!)

There's no question that the Suhr reactive load solved a huge silent recording problem for me; and with the appropriate IR files, the recorded tone is practically indistinguishable from a mic'ed cab. But that left the monitoring problem. I use direct monitoring, which means that my monitored guitar signal comes to me directly from the audio interface and not through the DAW. I prefer this method because there is no latency, and with the Steinberg UR44, I can monitor with reverb even though I print dry. That is all well and good, but there is no way to get the IRs involved during monitoring using this technique, so I have thus far been left with listening to a fuzzy un-emulated signal while monitoring which, for those of you who have had the displeasure of listening, sounds very fizzy and distinctly unpleasant. I think I may have solved this problem..:)

I remembered Stan posting once that he uses a Radial JDX emulator and that he likes it a lot. I found one on ebay for 130 bucks, got it today and set it up with the JDX XLR output going to the audio interface on one input, and the speaker out going to the load box, then to the audio interface on another input.

So now, when I practice outside of the DAW, I can turn down the Suhr input on the audio interface and listen to just the JDX, which sounds a LOT better than the un-emulated input. But the best part is that once I get to the DAW, I can record two tracks simultaneously - the Suhr and the JDX, monitoring only the JDX track - and run the Suhr track through the IR while I leave the JDX track as is. Now, I can mix the two tracks to get the effect of an amp running through multiple cabinets. The combined tone is really nice!! Whats great about this is that I can process each of these tracks differently if I want to - like having different delays on each track (I think Andy Timmons does this), and panning them just far enough apart to fatten up the tone.

So far, I've experimented with all the above except for the different effects and panning, but I couldn't wait to tell you guys.

And thank you, Stan, for the heads up on the JDX!

Srini
    Last edited by Srini; 05-28-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

You're quite welcome, Srini! It is a high quality DI, and takes a different angle on getting the sound. I'm very glad it's working well for you.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

I have to tell you, I just spent the last 40 mins or so enjoying something I haven't enjoyed in a very long time - getting an amp to its power tube sweet spot and playing by touch. Wow, what a feeling!! Best of all what the JDX has brought back is the sheer fun and joy of playing an electric guitar directly into a great tube amp and having reverb placed after the cabinet. There's no denying that my redwood guitar straight into the Gries is a magical tone, but thus far available to me only after the IRs and not live playing.

But now, I have the Gries at: Vol 8 and Master 10 - so pretty much cranked - and its a single ended 6L6 Champ clone. I can't even begin to describe the tone!

So, thanks once again, Stan.

Srini

Super Moderator
    Thanks

A mountain top experience, for sure. That's what it's all about, finding the gear that gets you that tone that puts you in the zone.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
    A mountain top experience, for sure. That's what it's all about, finding the gear that gets you that tone that puts you in the zone.
    Absolutely true, Stan. The JDX I got is the older model, I believe - the one without phantom power. But the power supply was included, and I have a sparsely populated power strip, so no big deal there. I guess the only criticism someone might have is the lack of an output level control, but with so many level controls along the chain (the audio interface, the faders on the DAW) I'm not sure it matters. I did have to fool with getting the levels of the Suhr box and the JDX balanced - the JDX's output is a fair bit weaker than the Suhr, but a very easily fixable situation.

I'll experiment with the effects and panning today, I hope, and let you all know how that went. Quite frankly, I'm as happy as a pig in a sty right now (think Empress of Blandings, Cap'n!) just playing that its possible I won't get to anything more serious than that today, but we'll see..:)

Srini
    Last edited by Srini; 05-29-2016 at 02:07 PM.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Srini View Post
    I can't even begin to describe the tone!
    Srini
    Why would you have to describe it when you're recording it? You teasing us, dude?
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tele savalas View Post
    Why would you have to describe it when you're recording it? You teasing us, dude?
    Hahaha! You are correct, sir!

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Guys, here's the final piece of the puzzle (famous last words, I know!).

I basically got tired of the amp-through-the-TC sound, even with the FX mix at 25%, because there's something about the un-effected tone that is just so organic and responsive, right? So after a little more research, I happened upon this little box (emphasis on "little"; compare it to my hand in the picture) called the Pangea, made by a Russian company called AMT. Its an IR player that has gotten great reviews, and has no bells or whistles. It just stores a number of IRs, takes in third party IRs via USB (the feature I was looking for, since I have tons of IRs on the computer) and plays the one you select. No foot switching, amp emulation or anything.

This way, even when I'm not recording and just playing for fun (which is about 100% of the time these days), I can now get a wet-dry-wet signal by panning the dry signal from the Pangea in between the wet signals from the TC on either side. So far, I've just tried a couple of the factory IRs, which are OK, and the next step is to download selected Torpedo and Redwirez IRs from the computer. There is definitely something to this w-d-w idea! You have that dry center tone that responds beautifully to touch, and that is surrounded by a halo of effects - very, very nice! As you long you don't overdo the FX, I suppose.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted once I get some experiments done with my IRs.

Srini
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hmmm... very interesting!

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

A little too interesting, if I may say so. This thing is definitely not plug and play, and the manual sucks - I mean, truly sucks! Their site is not much better, so even something as simple as updating firmware needed research. I finally found the link in a forum. Of course, now there's the laborious process of selecting IRs and loading them into the unit, and I hope to get that done in the next couple of days.

One potential con (which could not really be confirmed by preliminary listening tests by these 62 year old ears) is that this box truncates IRs at 20ms, even though the IR files I have from both Redwirez and Ownhammer are 400ms - 600 ms long. I read that just about all the character of the tone happens within the first 20ms, but I bet I lose some realism because of that. I'll have to do an A/B test with Cubase to really validate this.

Other than that, if all goes well, and I manage to find that set of IRs that works best in this box, I'll be happy..:)

Srini