Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackstar HT-1R

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Default Blackstar HT-1R

On a whim, I started checking out filthy high gain sounds, even though I tend not to use that kind of voice much. I figured it would be a nice thing to have, given that I have the single ended Champ and D-style OD tones covered. I assumed that the one small sliver missing in my toolbox was this Brit, Marshally tone.

Anyway, I found a deal on ebay - this little monster for $ 195, seemed like a sweet birthday present to myself. I got it last night ("New Other", according to ebay), and it was certainly mint looking. The first thing that struck me was, man....this baby is SMALL!!!! I don't care much about the speaker anyway, since I go direct, but once I got over the shock, the weight was the next thing. A strong guy (that would not be me!) could literally lift it with his pinky. So, before I began putzing around finding a space for it in the recording setup, I plugged it in just to make sure I didn't buy a dud, and I have to tell you - holy f moly!!

Don't get me wrong, no way is it a Gries or a Viking, but that lil ole 8" devil fills up a room like you wouldn't believe. The clean tones are passable, usable at a pinch in a subdued funk rhythm track maybe, but when the gain is cranked, it develops a fair bit of hair - not bad at all. The OD tones, though, are exactly what I thought they would be - very smooth, sensitive and expressive. I can't believe it - 1 dang watt!!!!! It has this tone control which is interesting - one knob that supposedly transitions from an American tone to a British tone. I'm not sure I understand the nuances of US vs Brit tones, but the Brit setting suits this beast perfectly - very midrangey, fat, girthy. Sweet!!! I know that people refer to the American tone as being a scooped mid, bright, "chimey" sound, but to me the D-style tone is hardly scooped mid - and if that isn't American, I don't know what is!

Anyway, I loves me this baby!!

Srini

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Wow, that's great to hear, Srini! It's always cool to discover some new tones, you never know where they will take you. And to get there for a minimal investment, all the better!
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

The fellow I'm finishing up that blue Les Paul for is going to be shopping for a Blackstar amp soon, when he flies up from the Bahamas for a conference. I believe he'll be visiting to pick up his guitar on that trip. This will be useful info, since he's not going to be able to haul a big heavy amp and the big heavy guitar and baggage-proof road case through the airport. I will tell him to check it out.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Thanks, Stan and Mike, I've been psyched all day. I knew I had to get rid of whatever cheapo tubes it shipped with, and ran into an immediate roadblock - this thing was not made for you and me to open up. Now, I resent that! No problem, though....a couple of googles later, found the tip - unscrew the front two handle screws, and it just opens up. Well...lets see....Ruby tubes. I knew they were Chinese, but I read somewhere that Fuchs or someone like that ships with Ruby tubes....so how bad can they be?

Anyway, I replaced the 12AX7 with an RCA 5751 and the 12AU7 with a JAN Philips 6189W. To tell you the truth, the improvement is rather subtle for now. Maybe I'll hit a sweet spot for these tubes one of these days.

Mike, you may want to suggest the 5 watter to your friend. I can't see using this in even a quiet band setting. It is indeed a very loud 1-watter, but a 1-watter it is!

Right now, I'm having some integration issues. It looks as if, stemming from space considerations, I'm going to need a TRS stereo to two 1/4" mono adapter, with the stereo adapter being an angled jack (L shaped...you know what I mean) for the emulated output (which automatically cuts off the speaker). Otherwise I can use a mono out and just not use the digital reverb while recording.

Oh...and get this (can you tell this 61 year-old is excited?), this also lets me use an ABY box, and go into the Blackstar and the Gries, using the Blackstar's emulated out while the Gries uses the Suhr load and IRs, and get the sound of two amps on two separate tracks. Life is good, gentlemen!!

Srini
    Last edited by Srini; 04-23-2016 at 07:05 AM.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

You, sir, are a geek.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tele savalas For This Useful Post:

CustomWes (04-23-2016)

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tele savalas View Post
    You, sir, are a geek.
    I resemble that remark!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Srini For This Useful Post:

CustomWes (04-23-2016)

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

This man has earned his Geekdom. Respect.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Here Here!
    I'm not sayin' that, I'm just sayin'......

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Hahahahaha!!! Thanks, guys!!

Well, the stereo cable isn't going to work because I only have one more Lo-Z input in the Steinberg interface, so it will have to be a mono signal - and there's nothing wrong with that! I wasn't planning to record with reverb anyway, so I think I'll be fine. Once I get the Blackstar tweaked well, I'll fool with the ABY box. I'll keep you guys posted, for sure.

Srini