Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whammy setup

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Default Whammy setup

Segueing from my posts on my setups with Phil, I picked up a nice 3-ply pearloid pickguard + back cover from Guitar Center, of all places, for 17 bucks including tax - nicely shielded too! Might have been on sale...no matter!

So I got everything set up, pickup heights, all controls working properly etc (hey, trust me, when its me doing the work, you HAVE to check EVERYTHING!). So then, while putting the strings on, I came across this video which I thought would be a cool thing to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy-F7iSIopA

I think I'm almost there with the third, second and first strings, although the feel is very, very different from a hardtail, and even the way it was before. So, I sent Phil an email about it, and I got one back in a couple of hours - don't do it!! Apparently there's a ton of adjustment involved, and obviously I'm not skilled enough to do it. He said put it back where it was, and I'll be a lot happier.

Man...I better get back to playing and stop with this fooling around, eh? Maybe all this tinkering is indicative of the fact that I'm not getting any musical ideas? ...:)

Srini

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

It is a sickness that I suffer mightily from, so I know where you are coming from. I can't pick up and play any of my guitars without thinking about what I could alter or improve upon with the danged thing. Making music is a secondary venture for the inveterate tinkerer.

But yeah, as a Strat player, I don't use the wiggle stick any more than I use the ash tray on my Telecasters. Those both stay in the case where they belong. I have decked all but one of my Strats, and it only floats just a little bit. All the others are virtual hardtails.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Thanks, Stan - I think I pretty much got the bridge to float, and got those intervals that Carl was talking about. I did have to re-intonate, and the feel is markedly different, but it stays remarkably well in tune.

Srini

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Cool. Ain't nothin' to it but to do it. That's how I've learned everything I know about guitar setups.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Hmmm...looks like this is going to be a reiterative process. Seems like every tweak you make on one side affects the other. I had to re-do the saddle heights, which was actually not so bad this time, because I took measurements off of the other hardtail guitars that Phil had set up. I found that one of my TUSQ picks (which I never use as a pick by the way) was the perfect feeler gauge for string height. Once I did that the intonation went out of whack, so I redid that. It was fine all day yesterday, but I have a feeling today it will have to be re-tweaked all over again.

Should it be moving around and re-settling like this?

Srini
    Last edited by Srini; 04-11-2016 at 11:07 AM.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I'm with Stan. All my trems are blocked and the Teles have modern bridges.

Things remain in a state of flux for a few days whenever I set-up a guitar (mostly in my mind I'm sure) but there comes a time where I say enough is enough. To do otherwise would have me disappearing up my own orifice!
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Hahahaha....thanks, Cap'n! Luckily, things seem to have settled down now, no intonation changes today. I did tweak the saddle height on a couple of strings, though, and now I love the setup. That said, why I bothered to float the bridge I don't know, since I rarely touch the whammy. Maybe this is a good opportunity to learn a few techniques.

Srini

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It's good to have at least one floater around the house. I do have a nice Carvin Bolt-T with a Wilkinson trem on it that is outstanding for that kind of work.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Wow, Stan, thats a beauty! Same controls as mine (in appearance only, though, I'm sure!) - I have a master vol, tone that only works with the bridge PU and that swicth would be a blower switch that works with the neck PU - is that weird or what??? I bet yours is master vol, master tone....and possibly an HB split?

Srini

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Pretty good guess! The switch is a coil splitter for the bridge pickup when the 5-way is in the bridge postion. It turns on the bridge pickup when the selector is in either the neck-only or the neck+middle position. Works really nice.