Thanks

Default 4 wire single coils

Hello
    Newbie here .. I bought 3 single coil pickups and they have 4 wires. I thought they would only be 2 wires. I googled 4 wire single coil but
    only came up with humbuckers. This could be a problem when I install them since I don't know how to wire a 4 wire pickup that is single.

thanks for any help

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Sounds pretty weird to me. Are you sure they aren't stacked? Brand name and model are probably necessary for us to tell you anything.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Thanks

They look to be stacked does this mean they are humbuckers? There isn't really a brand they were off ebay. They don't look
    very well constructed but they measure about 12.6k ohms. So fairly high output.

Thanks for the reply!
    I remember Kojak didn't he say something like "Who loves ya baby"?

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Yes, that used to be my signature! They are humbuckers, and depending on the color-coding of the wires, two will have to be twisted together and taped off. With Duncans it is the red and white that are excluded, but other brands may have different color coding.

Thanks

That explains a lot. The green and white are loosely tied together with red and black there also.
    Thanks for the diagram that will work perfectly!
    Thanks a bunch!

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Bear in mind that the color coding might be different for your pickups, but this diagram is a good starting point.

FT Member
    Thanks

If you are not certain on the relative polarity of the pickups you can do this:

With the four wires, select two that you get an Ohm reading. Use an analogue volt-ohm meter with the lowest DC setting. Get any steel like a shaft of a heavy socket wrench; place it on the top of the magnet poles and quickly pull away. Note your needle movement. If it moves positive, then the wire connected to the + of the meter can be your positive. Do this with the other pair of wires. BTW, the + or - is just relative to each other in the set.

You now can connect your coils in series (-,+ to -+) or reverse (-,+ to +,_) or parallel (- to -, + to +). or reverse parallel.

You can experiment with it and take notes as to what you prefer and how they react with differing connections.

Have fun!