Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pickguard tales

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Default Pickguard tales

Gentlemen,

I figured I'd start a new thread, since I've hijacked Kebmel's thread enough! Anyway, here are three pics of my very amateurish "subtractive measures". I ended up using a 3/8" chisel instead of a knife, and now it fits just right.

The first pic, of course, is the raw subtraction. The second pic...looks like a good fit, eh? Thirdly..nicely, but unattractively, shielded - but, hey, who's going to look at it, right?

Thanks so much, Mike and badxmpl! Now its a couple days wait for the gold pickup mounting screws to showup..:)

Srini
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Srini; 10-29-2015 at 01:46 PM.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

It's lookin' pretty woody!
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Thanks, Stan! I'm not crazy about the color mismatch, but I'm hoping the tone will change for the better.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Put that guard out in full sun for a few days or put it on a sunny windowsill for a month or two - it might fade enough to look better. The small chips can be filled with wood filler and sanded, colored with markers to match. the split can be glued on the underside and filled on the top as well, sanded and colored accordingly. Meantime, if you want to find an un-stained maple guard and send it to me with quality photos of your strat's finish, I can spray to match. And, if it's too thick I can fix that at the same time (no charge, of course).
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tele savalas For This Useful Post:

Srini (10-30-2015)

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Thank you so much, Mike, for your more than generous offer - not to mention the invaluable advice! For now, I figure if I can get the pickguard set up and functional, that will be a net positive. Hopefully my tone will improve, just based on the fact that when you hold the plastic pickguard in one hand and the wood pickguard in the other, the difference in stiffness is stark. To me, it seems like mounting the pickups on a floppy base is not going to sound as immediate as mounting them on a stiff base - mitigated a little, I hope, by the swimming pool route underneath, thereby giving it what I hope will be a somewhat chambered tone. I'll find out about that soon enough.

That said, I glued the split from the bottom as you recommended and that segment now seems pretty solid, although you can still see it if you look closely enough. At some angles it looks like the grain pattern. Then again, once the pickup is mounted and the pickguard is screwed in place, I suspect most people won't notice it, and if they do, hey...its a relic!!

If at some point I do get another pickguard, I might shoot for something like mahogany or koa, and get a natural satin or gloss - no staining.

Again, thanks a million for the great advice and the even greater offer!

Srini

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I could get a woody for that woody!
    http://www.fendertalk.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic581_3.gif

Super Moderator
    Thanks

OK, now I'm uncomfortable, just a little bit.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

OK...guys...a little tragedy has struck. An unexpected problem in the 5-way blade switch area made me do something terrible. There were two problems - the slot was a little thin and pickguard was too think to let the whole blade stick out freely, with the result that it couldn't move correctly to all positions, and obviously, the switching didn't work. So I took everything off, traced the outline of the switch base and then tried to create a recess in the back for the base to sit inside. Then, very stupidly, I figure I could shave a little off the slot with a screwdriver from the back and leave the front surface untouched - wrong! The finish has chipped majorly in the front around the slot.

I guess for now, this is going to look really awful. I'll try to get this as functional as possible, and tape off that ugly chipped slot.

This may call for another pickguard sooner rather than later. Lessons learned - don't order from China, too much monkeying with it to fit. If you're getting a wood pickguard, get one as locally as possible and make sure to get the lip that goes underneath the fretboard thinned out and the switch base seating thinned out - and get a natural clear finish!!!!

And, Mike, if you're in the mood to build a wood pickguard, let me know!

I feel like an idiot!!

Srini

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Well dang, another great plan that didn't quite work out. I've also taken a few paths that didn't go where I wanted them to go, by wrecking a couple of bodies and necks along the way. Better luck next time!

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Ouch, Stan! Wrecking a body or a neck would completely break my heart!