Thread: Valerie

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Default Valerie

This is one of my live stage recordings. It was an outdoor gig but you wouldn't know, with 11 microphones and 2 DI boxes on stage. The crowd mics were not included in this mix.

The desk was an Allen & Heath Qu-24 recording directly to USB drive in 48K 24-bit wav and mixed later in my studio. I was the sound engineer at this gig

ReSound Live - Valerie
    Just play til your fingers bleed, then stop when it hits bone...

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/alanlowe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ElijahBaley For This Useful Post:

Littlefloor (08-23-2015)

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Hey dude,
    I presume you posted this stuff to hear our opinions, right? You know how I'm skilled with English, but I'll try to explain my opinion: songs is nice, fluttering, has the potential, funky guitar sound keeps it alive, but it seems that the singer in the second song half more confident than at the beginning. Deceleration rate, around 2:32, a nice refreshment, exquisite detail, but the absence of the drum is supposed to make up for something, maybe some progressive bass/guitar section (e.g increased volume), or leave only vocal, because at this point it seems like it's rhythm section at the moment lapsed and then after about 10-15 seconds continue on performance.
    You need somehow to highlight that little part, its beginning and its end, to feel intentional rhythm change, rather than a random pause, just to break song steady rhythm...
    I may be rough rated your work with my bad way of expression, but I just wanted to help with another opinion, that you do not obliged to have to listen, OK?

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Littlefloor View Post
    Hey dude,
    I presume you posted this stuff to hear our opinions, right? You know how I'm skilled with English, but I'll try to explain my opinion: songs is nice, fluttering, has the potential, funky guitar sound keeps it alive, but it seems that the singer in the second song half more confident than at the beginning. Deceleration rate, around 2:32, a nice refreshment, exquisite detail, but the absence of the drum is supposed to make up for something, maybe some progressive bass/guitar section (e.g increased volume), or leave only vocal, because at this point it seems like it's rhythm section at the moment lapsed and then after about 10-15 seconds continue on performance.
    You need somehow to highlight that little part, its beginning and its end, to feel intentional rhythm change, rather than a random pause, just to break song steady rhythm...
    I may be rough rated your work with my bad way of expression, but I just wanted to help with another opinion, that you do not obliged to have to listen, OK?
    Thanks for your input Littlefloor. The drums are not absent at 2:32, they are still being played lightly but that part of the song is a deliberate lull. You hear the lull in the same place in Amy Winehouse - Valerie (Official) HD on YouTube, or at least a variant of it.

Admittedly ReSound seem to have several versions of the song but I didn't see that lull as a fault. Its a detail, a feature. As far as the singer being more confident, it was a live performance, no second chances, no multiple takes. My job was just to make them sound the best that I could on stage, not to tell them how to play the song. Still, all input is appreciated. Its good to know how others hear the work
    Last edited by ElijahBaley; 08-24-2015 at 12:44 AM.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Tell you what. You did an excellent job especially given it was a live recording. Very studio quality there. They must have been pleased with your work - thumbs up!

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

I liked the lead singer, it had a good beat and I could dance to it. I'd give it an 85.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mjaggisan View Post
    Tell you what. You did an excellent job especially given it was a live recording. Very studio quality there. They must have been pleased with your work - thumbs up!
    Thank you, I appreciate that a lot. A few people have said that the whole collection sounds like studio recordings. In most cases, the stage mics didn't pick up the crowd. But in this one for example, the crowd was quite close to the stage so its a give away that its live.

Get Lucky

I was often impressed by the band's timing and the vocalists pitching. I like working with them

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
    I liked the lead singer, it had a good beat and I could dance to it. I'd give it an 85.
    Thanks Stan, actually the whole band sings at one time or another, such as the backing vocals in this one...

ReSound - Easy