Thread: My Happiness

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Default My Happiness

I did another recording of 21yo James Abbot on the weekend.

In this song, he is doing vocals, acoustic rhythm guitar, lead guitar (Fender Strat) and bass (Fender Squier)
    Easier to say the only thing that isn't James in this recording is the drum kit.

I was pretty happy with the mix

My Happiness

Recording and mixing - Alan Lowe (ElijahBaley)
    Just play til your fingers bleed, then stop when it hits bone...

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/alanlowe

FT Member
    Thanks

Very nice. What kind of gear do you record on?

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnowStorm View Post
    Very nice. What kind of gear do you record on?
    For studio work, I use an RME Fireface 802 audio interface. The vocal mic is a Neumann TLM107 which goes through a Universal Audio 6176. The acoustic guitar is recorded using an AKG C414 xls on the 12th fret and a Shure SM57 on the bridge. Electric guitars are miked up through a Fender Hotrod using the C414/SM57 setup, however for this song, I recorded the guitar direct through a Focusrite OctoPre Dynamic MKII into Amplitube to take advantage of their rotary speaker rack unit. The bass is a Fender Squier that was DI'd through a Radial PRO48 Active DI Box into the OctoPre

Although I have the full Pro Tools 11 software, I prefer to use Cakewalk Sonar Platinum. It is just so much more intuitive than Pro Tools and doesn't lack anything that Pro Tools has. Any time I use Pro Tools, I think, "What is the point?" Sonar Platinum does everything perfectly well. But I thought I would get Pro Tools just to see what the fuss is all about and find that I am still asking the same question.

When recording live gigs, I use an Allen & Heath Qu-24 with AB168 Stage Box. This records 18 channels of 48K 24bit wavs direct to USB drive, which I can mix later.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

James sounds quite nice, on all his parts, and your mixing is quite well done, mate.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
    James sounds quite nice, on all his parts, and your mixing is quite well done, mate.
    Thanks Stan, really appreciate the kind words :)

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Very nice! Also, excellent recording quality. I know what you mean about using an extremely full featured host application; sometimes simple is better. I think the reason so many people gravitate to Pro Tools is simply because so many other people use it, and these days, when it is more common to send tracks back and forth from remote locations, compatibility becomes important...sort of the reason that most companies use Office. I use the cheapest version of Cubase and find I don't need anything more. On another note, what is your take on Amplitube?

Srini

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Srini View Post
    Very nice! Also, excellent recording quality. I know what you mean about using an extremely full featured host application; sometimes simple is better. I think the reason so many people gravitate to Pro Tools is simply because so many other people use it, and these days, when it is more common to send tracks back and forth from remote locations, compatibility becomes important...sort of the reason that most companies use Office. I use the cheapest version of Cubase and find I don't need anything more. On another note, what is your take on Amplitube?

Srini
    I can always export my Sonar files and import them into Pro Tools if they really need a PT project format.

My take on Amplitube changes with the sound I am trying to get. Sometimes its awesome, other times frustrating. However, I can use it in stand alone mode and even record that way, then import the recorded file, or I can use it as a plugin in Sonar. And since there is a small delay in Amplitube when tracking live as a plugin, I can run it standalone outside Sonar and playback with the same settings on the plugin. Infinite uses for it. I guess it also depends how many additions you want to purchase for Amplitube. I have a large number of them. All the mics, all the rack gear, most of the pedals and a good number of amps and cabinets. Yeah, I guess I like it