Thanks

Default 'vintage' heel adjustment question

I read tonight that the adjustment nut on a heel adjustment truss should be flush with the wood/butt of the neck. Is this true?

The reason I ask is I'm having a really hard time adjusting my Bass VI, with heel adjustment. It's my first time adjusting it, and when I took the neck off the adjustment nut was slightly counter-sunk (not flush) by a few millimeters (8th inch or less)... The neck was very back bowed and buzzing like crazy. So I turned the nut counter clockwise a bit to straighten it, which caused the nut to become more flush with the butt but did not straighten the neck too too much. The nut was also very loose.

I let it sit for a bit then turned the nut back counterclockwise because it was super loose, and this tightened it up, but also sunk the nut back to its original depth. It now has relief (a little too much), and still buzzes like crazy.

What do I do for this neck, and is it true that the adjustment nut should be flush to the butt of the neck? Mine is slightly sunken in.

Thanks for any advice.

FT Member
    Thanks

Sometimes the adjustment nut can be sunk a little bit below the butt and the neck will have good relief depending on the guitar.

It can take a day or a few days for the neck to settle in after adjusting the tension nut.

Back in the day I had a bunch of modded early '70s Musicmaster basses for their light weight. One of them developed a back bowed neck even with the tension nut fully loosened. Not knowing how to fix it I gave the bass to my brother as a project.

There are a number of fixes including putting the neck in a jig with a weight to correct the reverse relief for an extended period of time, clamping the neck at the heel and and nut fingerboard down to a bench with a underneath to slightly overcorrect the relief, removing the fingerboard and correcting the relief in a jig then regluing the fingerboard, or leveling the frets to make up for the area of reverse relief. Most of these sound scary to me so I'd be reluctant to recommend trying these.

An experienced guitar repairman would be my choice to fix anything that can't be corrected by relieving the tension and allowing the neck ample time to "settle"

I had a late 1962 Bass VI in the early to mid '70's--obtaining strings ewas an issue so I made sets from individual Ernie Ball strings, the toughest to replace was the 1st string as I had to use a guitar "D" which only allowed me a wrap or two on the string post.