Fender Lover
    Thanks

Default Who and when somebody can post Sell message?

This is very big forum and I'm happy about that. Almost each day we notice new members, and it's nice. It means that we have some nice articles and infos as offer to our guests and members. Where is then a problem?
    Even we have forum part called FenderTalk Classifieds (here), aimed for sell & buy gear, this place IMO shouldn't be easy place just for persons that register ONLY to post text about selling their gear! We'rent advertising forum, and I think that admin should set some "limits" or conditions for newbies, for example: no post about sell until 10 posts in other forum sub-theme?
    Also, post about a sale must be written in the part FenderTalk Classifieds, if not, it will be deleted. Approved posts about a sale (post of regular members with 11 or more posts), but on wrong place, our admin could move to the space provided in the forum.
    Too strong?

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I second the motion.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Administrator
    Thanks

Hi,
    I'm not 100% sure that I follow everything you are speaking of.

But I do understand that you think new members shouldn't be able to post a For Sale ad in the Classifieds. Your comment is that people should have to have more than 10 posts.

There are thousands of forums that put a post limit on posting a classifieds. It's usually 10 posts, but I've seen it as high as 50 posts. When the total is 10 posts people naturally figure that it's easy enough to post 10 posts so they go off and post "Me too" on 10 different threads and then they post their ad.

Nothing about being a poster with 10 posts makes the sale or the seller safer or more legitimate. It just makes it necessary for people to post 10 worthless comments to be able to meet the requirement.

And, for the forums that go longer - 25, 40 or 50 posts before posting a classifieds just means that an ad will not get posted at all for most people. On this forum alone we have nearly 4,000 members and of that number only 264 members here have 50 posts or more and of those only 64 have visited once in the past 2 1/2 years.

The assumption you are making is that someone that's been around here longer and posted more is more trustworthy than some stranger that shows up today. But that's not really the case. We run 7 other guitars forums, all of them are FAR larger and busier than this one. It's not uncommon for long-time members to turn out to be a deadbeat when it comes to sales in the classifieds.

So, changing this is not going to fix a problem (and we don't have a problem that needs fixing in this area anyway that I'm aware of).

Thanks for your suggestion though I do appreciate your thinking of the board and trying to protect members from scam dealers.

I didn't understand this part of your post "Also, post about a sale must be written in the part FenderTalk Classifieds, if not, it will be deleted. Approved posts about a sale (post of regular members with 11 or more posts), but on wrong place, our admin could move to the space provided in the forum.".

If you wish to try again to clarify it I'll be happy to respond.
    FenderTalk Administrator

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenderTalk View Post
    Hi,
    I'm not 100% sure that I follow everything you are speaking of....

I didn't understand this part of your post "Also, post about a sale must be written in the part FenderTalk Classifieds, if not, it will be deleted. Approved posts about a sale (post of regular members with 11 or more posts), but on wrong place, our admin could move to the space provided in the forum.".

If you wish to try again to clarify it I'll be happy to respond.
    Hi invincible admin, thank you for your kind response...
    yes, you have understand me as I planned it. All what you mentioned here is - true, I must confirm it, I just had a wish to make some suggestion for forum purpose protection, nothing more. I saw also many forum where is impossible to make a post with less than 15 characters or so, but everything is possible to cheat, right? To me, it's simply unfair to register somewhere just to post your advertisement and not make some minimal contribution. Due that I made this article, so I must agree with you statement about it, based on your experiences from other forums.
    Second part, I tried to mention to some less careful members that their posts shall be written at proper part of forum, for example Corona Bar is very popular but not right place for advert. I thought to say that it's up to admin to move (re-locate) wrong positioned theme where it belongs, or to be deleted if some fresh registered member (first post or so) put advertising post there, it's IMO forum abusing... BUT - then we are again on beginning. I just had intention to make this place better, but forgot that we all are just a people that doesn't like or obey rules.
    Sorry for my hand-made English... just can't help myself. I try, but...

Administrator
    Thanks

Thanks Littlefloor, I realize that you and others are leery of ads from "new" members and that's perfectly fine. We would encourage you to continue to be leery of such ads and even ignore them completely. As I explained, it's not a problem that's solved with a post limit - if it were we might implement such a rule.

Many members think we review everything, but of course that is not possible. We only have limited time to review individual posts on FenderTalk so it's very likely that people put the wrong thread - classified or not -- in the wrong forum and for us to not be aware of it. There is a "REPORT Post" function and if you or any other member sees a Classified ad being incorrectly placed all that is needed is to click the "Report Post" button and we'll be notified and able to correct it right away.

The same goes for SPAM posts and any other problem posts, fights, and or violation. Though there's not too much of that here.

Thanks so much for your care and concern for the well-being of other members and this forum, too.
    FenderTalk Administrator

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FenderTalk For This Useful Post:

Captain Bb (07-27-2015), Littlefloor (07-27-2015)

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

I think you are right, Paul, and I can tell you that Littlefloor is a man of the highest integrity and for a Bosnian, he has excellent fluency in English. I found it quite amusing when a lurker asked us if we are the Marx Brothers, after joking around with a post from a guy in South Africa trying to sell an expensive Strat. A guy we knew would never post here again. You are right, and I have to say that after spending a lot of time on TDPRI and TGP, I really appreciate your keeping this haven alive.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Paul, I'd like to chime in here and just thank you again for keeping FenderTalk afloat. I'm sure it's not a money maker for you, and probably a pain in the arse. But for the motley few that visit this place on a regular basis, I believe to us it's like the bar on that old show, "Cheers." This forum is a comfortable place for us to just hang out with friends and enjoy their company. And if we can share our love and obsession for music and gear, then that is just a bonus. Thanks!
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SAguitar For This Useful Post:

Littlefloor (07-28-2015)

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tele savalas View Post
    I found it quite amusing when a lurker asked us if we are the Marx Brothers,
    I was so tempted to quote Groucho a few times after that.....he's got some many great one liners I considered that a compliment although I suspect he wasn't being complimentary. His loss...this board is full of good people....good information.....and good humor.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

What we need is a selling clause:

I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Oh no, not the Sanity Clause!
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.