Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stiffness

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Good idea about the squeezy toys, Stan. I'll just do all of the above! And, jag, about the guy in his 70s, I wonder how much of that is genes and how much is the sheer act of extended playing. You figure BB played until he was well into his 89th year, and I refuse to believe he wasn't hurting frequently.

Srini

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Srini View Post
    Good idea about the squeezy toys, Stan. I'll just do all of the above! And, jag, about the guy in his 70s, I wonder how much of that is genes and how much is the sheer act of extended playing. You figure BB played until he was well into his 89th year, and I refuse to believe he wasn't hurting frequently.

Srini
    I here you Srini but pain is part of getting old and letting it not get in the way is a skill/trick to keeping up and being youthful. Look at BB's older vids....he might have been in pain but it still looks like he's having fun and teaching(or ordaining the young folk). I think age is sort of irrelevant. I know it's really not but in a way it sort of is. In BB's case while he couldn't play what he did in his 40's he was still loved and respected in his "near" 90's. I know you were primarily talking about the pain he was in....and I think your right.....but I think you push through it for the rewards and that makes it worth it.

Catch up with in 20 years and we'll see if I'm right. lol

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Both Chester and Lester played into their nineties! And fluently, too. Both of those guys had gnarled up, knotty looking fingers but they got around the fingerboard pretty good.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tele savalas View Post
    Try high-dose fish oil
    Been taking this on the advice of my doctor for a couple of years now.
    There is none so blind as he that cannot see...

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

You guys are right about BB, Chester and Lester - you do what you have to do and keep going. I guess Larry would be another example after his shooting. I remember reading where he said that when he pressed a nylon string down to the fretboard, the pain was so intense he would drop the guitar. I have a feeling that part of it is that I don't play long enough every day to where that innate strength develops. They say that BB was doing almost 150 gigs a year until the end (3 weeks on, 3 weeks off, is what I heard). Thats definitely a punishing schedule at his age, maybe any age, but compared to my 30 mins or so every day, you have to develop a bunch of strength playing that much.

I've already started the fish-oil regiment, the others start in the next day or two..:)

Thanks, guys!

Srini

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

I know you guys are way too classy for a response like this, but let me throw out a gassy solution.

Hell, that ain't no arthritis! What you need is a twenty-top PRS Private Stock in purple lavender burst with a gazillion rosewood and cocobolo neck, not to mention brand new McCarty pickups and a pattern wide neck!

Srini

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Srini View Post
    I know you guys are way too classy for a response like this, but let me throw out a gassy solution.

Hell, that ain't no arthritis! What you need is a twenty-top PRS Private Stock in purple lavender burst with a gazillion rosewood and cocobolo neck, not to mention brand new McCarty pickups and a pattern wide neck!

Srini
    Now that there is guaranteed to make you feel better!

FT Member
    Thanks

"BB, Chester and Lester" I saw the master Andrés Segovia in concert in 1984, he was 91 and still kick'n it out.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Let the Rocks Roll On.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Mike, I'd like to thank you for the fish oil suggestion. I'm not sure I can attribute it all to the fish oil, particularly in such a short time, but I've noticed my arthritic symptoms get significantly better over the past week or so that I've been taking it. I've yet to try the tart cherry extract, which I will, and I expect the combination to work well. A heartfelt thanks to all - you have no idea how much better this feels.

Srini