Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stiffness

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Default Stiffness

I'm not sure this is the right section, or if there is even a section for this question, but hey, I figure a few of us are in a similar age bracket, so the issue could be pertinent. For the past year or so - perhaps a little longer - I've noticed my hands getting more and more arthritic, and it takes me at least 30 minutes to get warmed up enough to play anything meaningful. Even then some scales and positions are on the verge of being painful.

Do you guys experience anything like this with age, and if so, do you just chalk it up, or maybe use heat, or ice, or some other Ben-Gay like product? Just curious, nothing urgent or critical..:)

Srini
    Last edited by Srini; 06-26-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Try high-dose fish oil
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tele savalas For This Useful Post:

Srini (06-26-2015)

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Thanks, Mike! I'll try the local GNC.

Update - I got 1000mg capsules; hopefully thats a good dose if I take 2 a day.

Srini
    Last edited by Srini; 06-26-2015 at 03:25 PM.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

And don't take it before your morning coffee.... You'll see why if you do. I find taking it before bed works best for me because I don't knowingly burp when I'm asleep..... It might even help lower yer blood pressure if that's an issue for you...
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to badxmpl For This Useful Post:

Srini (06-26-2015)

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by badxmpl View Post
    And don't take it before your morning coffee.... You'll see why if you do. I find taking it before bed works best for me because I don't knowingly burp when I'm asleep..... It might even help lower yer blood pressure if that's an issue for you...
    Very interesting, thanks! And BP is definitely an issue for me, I even take BP meds - a a couple of other heart meds after my heart surgery a couple of years back. So I guess this is a good thing all in all.

Srini

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Also try some Tart Cherry Juice extract. Not the powder capsule kind but the concentrate. I've got bad arthritis in my shoulders and neck and the Cherry Juice works wonders. I put in a spoon full in some water in the morning. I also take Fish oil. The combo is a god send for me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mjaggisan For This Useful Post:

Srini (06-26-2015)

FT Member
    Thanks

Hi Srini,
    Hey, I'll be 61 in a few months and yeah, my hands getting more arthritic too.
    I also take a couple of heart meds. Sucks getting old eh?
    Asprin helps. I also use a Ben-Gay like product called ALCiS. A bass player turned me on to this stuff a few years ago.
    The active ingredient in ALCiS is Trolamine Salicylate, (10%)
    ALCiS is designed for temporary relief of minor muscular and joint aches and pains associated with overexertion, strains, sprains, muscle tension, and for temporary relief of minor to mild arthritis pain.
    Oh, it doesn't stink like Ben-Gay either.
    I also string my electric guitars with 8's now! (I reccomend Rev. Willys Mexican Lottery Brand - and yes, that's a real brand made by Dunlop)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Retro Rocker For This Useful Post:

Srini (06-26-2015)

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Thanks so much, jag and Retro. I'm going to definitely look for the cherry extract as well as the ALCis. Getting old sure ain't for sissies, eh? For now, things don't seem too bad, though my playing is nothing like even three or four years ago. I did have to take a major break from playing after the sternotomy because I simply couldn't press the strings down without searing chest pain. It took about six months before I could slowly start playing again, so for a while I wondered if it was just the result of surgery, and whether things would get back to normal soon. Well, two years on, and it still takes me about 30 mins or so of slow deliberate playing to stretch out enough where I feel relatively comfortable playing. Then about 20 or 30 mins later I'm loose enough to play, but not for long, because fatigue sets in.

What a drag! I have to work around all that when I record, so I'm forced to come up with stuff that doesn't hurt too much to play.

But now, from what you guys are saying, I just need to take a few supplements and some topical stuff. The funny thing is that I read somewhere online once - when I thought I'd have to quit because of the discomfort - that they tell people with RA to actually start playing a musical instrument to strengthen their hands. This means that we are the lucky ones because we already do something we love to ward off arthritis. Sort of like David Sanborn being advised by his doctor when he was a young boy with asthma, to learn to play the saxophone to strengthen his lungs!

Thank you so much for your input. I'll be sure to follow everything as much as possible.

Srini

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Hey you can always play slide!

But really, just do what these guys are tellin' ya, and you'll be doing the best you can. And do a lot of nice warmup exercises on the guitar. In between playing sessions, it's good to get some squeezy toys and work out your hands on those in your down time. Those things help for me. I'm 66 now and I'm doing quite well with the finger dexterity thing but that could just be a personal blessing.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SAguitar For This Useful Post:

Srini (06-26-2015)

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Srini View Post
    when I thought I'd have to quit because of the discomfort - that they tell people with RA to actually start playing a musical instrument to strengthen their hands. This means that we are the lucky ones because we already do something we love to ward off arthritis. Sort of like David Sanborn being advised by his doctor when he was a young boy with asthma, to learn to play the saxophone to strengthen his lungs!
    Srini
    Now I like me the sounds of that right there! To be honest whenever I see a guy in his 70's still kicking it on the guitar (as many do) it gives me great hope. We can all be rocking into or elder years and having fun!