Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Guys, minor update here. I realized that the push-push pot won't work with the blower switch, because the series/parallel selection happens at the volume pot, and the blower switch should come before the volume pot. It may be too late to get that pot off my order, so what the hey, I'll keep it for a future tinkering project. Right now, I think I'm going to use a regular DPDT on-on switch and put that between the pickup and the blower switch. This way, the blower switch can still bypass the volume control and the 5-way switch. The only tradeoff - assuming this is even a tradeoff - is that I can't permanently set the blower switch to send a specific pickup configuration (ie series or parallel) directly to the output jack. But I think thats OK, and may actually be a good thing.

What do you guys think?

Srini

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Well, gentlemen, the deed is done. The DPDT series/parallel switch arrived today, and I executed my usual sloppy soldering job, but hey, its functional. The way it works, the Zex Convertible in the neck has this internal series/parallel wiring, so the signal first goes to the DPDT switch. From there it goes to a DPDT blower switch which sends the neck PU directly to the output jack. From there to the reguar wiring with 5-way, vol and tone. I also set up the tone to only work with the bridge pickup. This way, I can roll the highs off the bridge DiMarzio Transition and leave it there permanently. The only tradeoff is the #2 (or is it #4?) position being affected by the tone setting, but its very minor to me. The neck and middle have no tone control.

Interestingly enough, the guitar had a 250K vol pot in it that I left in place. The parallel mode of the Convertible sounds great with it, but the series mode sounds very dark, maybe even a tad muffled. Good for jazzier playing. But then all I have to do is flip the blower switch, and the neck series mode opens up and barks, although the parallel mode is way too bright in that position - maybe good for the odd rhythm guitar track.

I'll try and use this guitar as much as possible, if not exclusively, in the next song so y'all can hear it.

Srini

Fenderfied
    Thanks

And I thought Quantum Physics was difficult! ;)

But seriously, so long as you enjoy whatever's happening in there Srini, that's the main thing.

I'm looking forward to your next clip of sounds.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Hahahaha....thanks Cap'n! I know, I know....quit fiddling with this stuff and start playing! But I honestly think I have a new palette of tones here.....famous last words, eh?

Srini

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Now I know how Eddie got down to one knob and one pickup!
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Well...I figured I'd do the final deed and wrap up this tinkering..:)

I just replaced the 500K N-Tune volume pot in my alder strat (which has the Zexcoil set I first put in) with a regular 250K pot, rewired the tone control so it only works with the bridge PU...and then, replaced most of the thin wires with fatter wire (like that makes a difference!); and everything works like a charm. I have to say, though, that I can't really tell the difference between the two pots. In fact, even the blower switch is such a subtle difference with a touch more bite, but an almost imperceptible volume increase - unlike the swamp ash strat.

Anyway, it all sounds great - and I'm ready to hang up the soldering iron for now..:)

Srini
    Last edited by Srini; 06-23-2015 at 12:13 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

All right! Now let's get back to playing guitar. Wait a minute, I gotta adjust the action on this one...

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Haha...what can I say, Stan; sometimes I think I like the tinkering more than playing!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Same here, my friend, same here.