Thread: Zexcoils

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Default Zexcoils

I got the hybrid set today (5O neck, 2 middle and a Juicy Bucker bridge). Needless to say, my wiring and installation are not exactly neat and tidy. I messed up the tone control (it doesn't work any more) and I had an N-Tune system wired in before, but that doesn't work any more either! Luckily the volume and 5-way blade work. I wired in a blower switch to send the neck pickup directly to the jack, and that works (whew!!!). Fortunately, the things that don't work are not important at all for me.

The pickups sound really, really great! The set is exceedingly well balanced, and the middle pickup is less bright and brittle than most. The quack positions are excellent, and my very favorite position, the neck pickup is fantastic. The bridge pickup is OK, but then I'm not a big fan of bridge pickups anyway. Compared to the other bridge pickups I have it sounds great. I do prefer the HighOrder bridge just a touch, but then that may be the wood in the guitar too.

Anyway, I'm glad I got these - they're perfect for recording.

Srini

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Srini For This Useful Post:

tele savalas (04-06-2015)

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Well alrighty then! I'm glad you're diggin' 'em!
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Srini View Post
    I got the hybrid set today ...

Anyway, I'm glad I got these - they're perfect for recording.

Srini

It seems that my suggestion for pickup choice appeared at right time..? Glad I made it even personally I never drove them... just based on what I have read and saw.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlefloor For This Useful Post:

Srini (04-07-2015)

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Elvir, I am grateful as well - I had never heard of them, but I can promise you I will be using a set of them in the future.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Littlefloor View Post
    It seems that my suggestion for pickup choice appeared at right time..? Glad I made it even personally I never drove them... just based on what I have read and saw.
    Your suggestion was certainly what did it, my friend! The clips on their site were great, and the pickups are totally exceeding expectations so far. To me, they sound as good as, or better than, any other single coil pickups I've ever heard, and they are DEAD quiet - EMG has nothing on these. I've had Kinmans and not liked them as much either - I don't know what "vintage" means, but these sound beautifully musical with no excess brightness. That said, it may be the set I picked, because the 5O is overwound, and apparently the 2 is meant to be a "rounder" sounding middle pickup. Like I said, I'm not a good judge of the bridge pickup because I don't like them by definition.

They were great to deal with - I even got a partial shipping refund, presumably because Delaware is next door to Maryland.

On another note, my N-Tune system suddenly started working. I can only surmise that one of my bad solder connections may have gotten jostled into connecting!

Srini

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Srini View Post
    Your suggestion was certainly what did it, my friend! The clips on their site were great, and the pickups are totally exceeding expectations so far. To me, they sound as good as, or better than, any other single coil pickups I've ever heard, and they are DEAD quiet - EMG has nothing on these. I've had Kinmans and not liked them as much either - I don't know what "vintage" means, but these sound beautifully musical with no excess brightness. That said, it may be the set I picked, because the 5O is overwound, and apparently the 2 is meant to be a "rounder" sounding middle pickup. Like I said, I'm not a good judge of the bridge pickup because I don't like them by definition.

They were great to deal with - I even got a partial shipping refund, presumably because Delaware is next door to Maryland.

On another note, my N-Tune system suddenly started working. I can only surmise that one of my bad solder connections may have gotten jostled into connecting!

Srini

Glad to read it, enjoy playing them, mate... I'm happy like I bought them.