Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Default Suhr reactive load

After much anticipation, I picked up the Suhr reactive load box at Chuck's on Wednesday, so here are my very first impressions, for what its worth.

Compared to the Koch Dummybox, which I managed to sell on ebay (and which you guys liked, from the clips anyway), its a different animal. To begin with, it is deceptively simple - just one knob for DI Level. The input and outputs are so self explanatory that Homer Simpson could hook it up. Plus, with the ability to take up to 100W RMS, just about any amp you might have laying around will work. So, why deceptive?

Well, it doesn't do speaker emulation, which I knew. It is really intended to be used with IRs, or with hardware speaker emulators (like the Red Box, or one of the Palmer boxes, or the Behringer box I had laying around). If you understand the purpose, it works like a charm. First, just for the heck of it, I plugged in the Behringer DI box and just played with it. Quite frankly, I was underwhelmed, and I put that down to the Behringer being a dud. Next, I unplugged the Behringer, and used it like it was intended - balanced XLR output to the Steinberg UR44 interface. At this point, I knew it would sound fizzy, just like the Koch did when I turned the emulation off. So I made my first mistake. I fiddled with the amp's tone controls until it sounded halfway acceptable, then recorded a track. The raw track sounded bad, and sending it through an IR made it worse - dull, dark and lifeless.

Thats when I realized that you do NOT compensate with the amp's tone controls. So, I dragged the Gries head to my DR combo, plugged the C-Rex from the combo into the Gries. Just picture this - the cable from the C-Rex is barely 3ft, so the Gries was almost back to back with the DR just so the cable would reach. I'd crawl around to the Gries to tweak, then crawl back to the front to play and listen. By the way, this was my first time listening to the Gries through a speaker and, man, this thing is LOUD!!!!! And punchy!

Anyway, after getting my tone, I took the Gries back to where it was, plugged everything back in and played again. Truth be told, the monitored signal was not very pleasant, but I told myself I'd have to grit my teeth and bear it. The rewards came afterwards. Once I had tracked, I ran it through several IRs. This time, it was money! The tone almost seemed to breathe, and as usual the main suspects came out as favorites - the C-Rex and the 1X12 Oxford for the cleans, while the Swamp Thang and the Two Rock 2X12 were great for crunch/OD type tones. In fact, I was hard pressed to tell the difference between the C-Rex in the DR combo and the C-Rex IR.

But the best part of the whole exercise was how easily, once the track was recorded, you could audition different cabs, with different mics and placements without re-tracking. You don't have to commit to anything until later, in context. This, to me, is the huge strength of the Suhr. The downside is that you an spend all your time tweaking IRs. With that in mind, I think I'm going to stick with a couple of my favorites and focus on making music. I believe the quest for recorded guitar tone may have been settled for now.

I'll put something out soon..:)

Srini

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Thanks for the review! It sounds like quite the gadget.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Good review - looking forward to some soundbites.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Alright guys, I just finished a new song, and figured I'd use that, rather than do a specific demo. The reason being I used the Viking as well as the Gries, and also that its a real life application. I didn't get all this stuff to make demos, right?

Anyway, I wish I could find a more elegant format to present the visuals, but crude as it this is, it seems to serve the purpose. There is a variety of guitar tones, all going through the Suhr RL, and using a couple of different IRs.

I hope you like it.

Srini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnloECMzNVA

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Lovely!

The whole recording thing goes over my head somewhat but it sounds like the Suhr is doing the job. I really enjoyed the track too and would love to hear some more.
    You know, said Arthur, its at times like this, when Im trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish Id listened to what my mother told me when I was young.
    Why, what did she tell you?
    I dont know, I didnt listen.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Thank you, Dave - and thanks so much for your kind words on youtube!

I'd say the Suhr is definitely doing its job, quietly, no fuss no muss. I have a couple more in the works now that I'll get to after a short break! Plus the power connector on the Viking quit on me this afternoon, so I'll have to pay Eric a visit before I can use it again....oh well!

Thanks again, and stay tuned, hopefully.

Srini

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Interesting - I pulled out the fuse from the Viking and put it back in after Eric asked me to check it. The amp powers on now, and works fine. I think the lesson learned here is (according to Eric) is not to crank the amp beyond reasonable levels much while using a load box. Hopefully I haven't burned out any trannies, but the master will no longer go to 10 while recording!

Srini

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Very pretty and relaxing music! A nice showcase for your tones and amps.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Thank you, Stan!