Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Soul Food!

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Gee Stan thanks for awakening the GAS monster

found one on our Ebay just $115NZ and I swore I'd
    finished buying pedals, but I'm sure I need this one.
    http://www.fendertalk.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic581_3.gif

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Well, I guess I can't really pick all the patches I use in my Boss GT-8, or in my Line 6 POD X3 Live, because they are just "virtual." And of course, I change my preferences from time to time so this list is just a snapshot of where I'm at right now. For the sake of this survey, let's say that the stompers in this list are used as outboards to either my GT-8, or X3 Live and plugged in right before the unit, not after, or in an effects loop. OK, and the Soul Food is my newest flame, so it is gonna get first place. I am also using it as a lead specific stompbox (in its upper drive range), not for a crunch rhythm sound. With all that said, here ya go...

1) Electro-Harmonix Soul Food
    2) Vox Satchurator
    3) Vox Ice 9
    4) Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive (Keeley modified)
    5) Boss Blues Driver (Keeley modified)
    6) Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
    7) Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer (have had this one since the early '70s)

That is the short list of the stompboxes I've used (or can remember) in the last 6 months or so. And dang, looking at this list, it is certainly not in a diecast order, I might bring any one (or two) of them for a certain tone.

I still have my monster sized stompbox board, but most of the time I use either the Boss or Line 6 for the majority of the tones I need on stage. The Monster is kept backstage as a backup. In my situation, and this sounds funny since I play in a church band, I need instant access to a very wide range of tones. The Boss and the Line 6 seem to give me that range much easier than using a collection of stompboxes. If I was just doing a blues gig, classic rock, or whatever, I would be able to survive with fewer tones. Currently, I use an outboard stomper to augment the internal tones and this system is working pretty well.

As an interesting side note, we rehearse for the weekend on Thursday nights, and my sound techs kind of insist that since they set their eqs for my guitar on Thursdays, they don't like me changing guitars for the weekend. Well, I can switch Strats, or Les Pauls, but they like me to keep it "in the family." That makes their job a little easier so they can focus on all the rest of the instruments and vocalists on the weekend.

We've got this fancy Yamaha digital mixer now and they can save settings as "scenes." So if we change lead singers for a song or two, then they just switch scenes, and the individual mix settings change with it. They get all testy when I change like from a Strat to an ES-335 because the guitar settings are saved in several places and it's kind of a pain to change each of them on the fly. Now if I wanted to intentionally change guitars for a specific song, they would be fine with that, but they don't like me just deciding to grab a different one and that's something I am infamous for.

Here's the rub, they can see what guitar I'm playing, but they never seem to notice if I just change out a stompbox or two! Hah! Let the Rocks Roll On!
    Last edited by SAguitar; 03-20-2015 at 07:45 PM.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
    I kicked it on at band rehearsal for leads a few times last night, and it just made me smile. Killer tone that cuts through everything without ever being too shrill, singing sustain and sweetness.
    Dang it....feeling GAS creepin in!!
    Last edited by mjaggisan; 03-20-2015 at 07:52 PM.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Soul Food

You're in my sight, but there's a mist on my lens!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RorysStrat For This Useful Post:

SAguitar (03-21-2015)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

There ya go, Doug, that is the real Soul Food.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Yes sir!
    You're in my sight, but there's a mist on my lens!

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Thanks Stan, I'm loving my new Soul Food pedal!
    http://www.fendertalk.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic581_3.gif

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Stan,

Thanks for the comparison.

I'm surprised the J&H falls lower down the list. I've never played through one myself but know you and Chris really like them.

How would you compare the Soul Food to the TS9?

My current OD pedals are the Little Green Wonder (Tubescreamer-esque) and the Rothwell Tornado (proper Marshall sounding), so I'm wondering if the Soul Food will offer me anything different.
    Last edited by Captain Bb; 03-21-2015 at 04:51 PM.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Graeme,
    Actually, the J&H doesn't really reside that far down the list! All those on the list could rise to the top on any given weekend and each are worthy of producing inspiring tones. My only complaint with the J&H is on the Hyde channel, when I get the drive where I like it, the level is just above zero and hard to keep there. Just a nudge above that, and it's too loud, any below that and it is zero (silent). That's kinda unnerving under on stage pressure. I have listened to those Rothwell Tornados online and have almost bought one on several occasions. I still might! If you can find a Soul Food at a local establishment, try one out. It's kinda hard to describe, but the SF has "something" I haven't found before. Its sustain seems to bloom a bit, kinda like real tube compression at high decibels. It makes the notes feel a little squishy and tactile, in a good way. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Tube Screamers, and I've owned my for many decades. It was the only OD I had when I was on the road, and played thousands of gigs with it alone. So there is a certain hard-earned comfort in that relationship.

Keb,
    Good on ya, mate! It is pretty impressive little bugger isn't it?

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Guess I'm gonna be spending 50 quid on one.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.