Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soul Food!

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Default Soul Food!

Soul Food, sounds delicious, doesn't it? Yeah baby. I recently got this Electro-Harmonix Soul Food Distortion/Overdrive stompbox from Sweetwater. I gotta tell ya it's a great deal for just under 67 American bucks. I've got a lot of stompers in this category so really this is just another one, but it's pretty nice and has its own unique flavor that none of the others can do.

On some of the blogs and forums the Soul Food is loosely compared to the Klon Centaur. While the Klon sells regularly for up in the 4 digit range, there really should be no expectation that this one could do its job, but what it does do is very useful. I'll probably never get a chance to play a Klon Centaur anyway, so I'll never know how close it actually comes. But there are some YouTube videos out there comparing the two, if you want to check those out.

To start with, I'm not really a distortion guy and much more comfortable in the overdrive category. For me, most distortions get to be thinner and kinda spitty in their upper ranges and that is a turnoff IMHO. This Soul Food doesn't do that, I've been using it steady and with my band for a couple of weeks now, and I like it. At home, I started using it more as an overdrive unit and was pretty happy with that, then I started pushing it up more into its distortion range and instead of getting more thin and raspy, it kinda gets bigger and creamier. Not that it cuts out highs as it goes up, but it's just thicker than I expected, in a good way! Unlike most distortion pedals I've tried, it surprisingly doesn't add excessive noise in its upper limits.

Currently, I've got the Drive set to about 5 o'clock (nearly pegged), the Tone at 11 o'clock, and the Volume set to just a small bump over unity. It's one powerful little kicker and this weekend I used it for solos in songs that I was playing very clean on the verses. Then I used it as a crunch rhythm tone by just turning my guitar's volume down and it cleaned up pretty well (so it's pretty dynamic), and then turned up the volume for solos and it felt great.

I've got it sitting next to my Boss GT-10 multi-effects unit, and on a few songs I was using a wild Soldano type patch as a hard rock rhythm thing, and then for a solo I kicked on the Soul Food, and it got bigger, fatter, and better. There's a lot to like in this one. The only drawback I've found so far is that it is a smaller kinda pedal. On stage, I've got it sitting on some carpet and so when I stomp on it sometimes it tends to move around a bit. If it was stuck to a floorboard with velcro or a zip-tie, that wouldn't be a problem.

I bought my first EH product many decades ago (a Bad Stone phaser) and it's still functioning as it should. These Electro-Harmonix dudes have got their act together and are still pushing the boundaries with their latest offerings. C'mon for less that 70 bucks, how can ya go wrong? Oh, did I mention they also give ya a power supply with it? If you're looking for a mad new pedal, give this one a listen.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SAguitar For This Useful Post:

Doublestop (03-19-2015)

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Cool. I have heard that these sound nice and am glad you're digging it!

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Thanks for the heads up! I hadn't come across this pedal before.

I listened to a whole bunch of reviews and liked what I was hearing. At 50 it was well worth taking a chance on so today I managed to track down the only one within a 20 mile radius and it's currently sitting on my pedal board having had a bit of a work out.

It sounds great and I'm really looking forward to hearing how well it cuts through the rest of the band at our next rehearsal.
    You know, said Arthur, its at times like this, when Im trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish Id listened to what my mother told me when I was young.
    Why, what did she tell you?
    I dont know, I didnt listen.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Way to share the GAS, Stan!!
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Damn your eyes Man - I want to try one!
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bb View Post
    Damn your eyes Man - I want to try one!
    Well until you do, have a listen to this review to pass the time...

You know, said Arthur, its at times like this, when Im trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish Id listened to what my mother told me when I was young.
    Why, what did she tell you?
    I dont know, I didnt listen.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Alrighty then! I've done my job. I probably have 20 OD devices so this little box has to have some gonads to get near the front of the pack.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Very cool tones, I likes it!
    http://www.fendertalk.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic581_3.gif

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I kicked it on at band rehearsal for leads a few times last night, and it just made me smile. Killer tone that cuts through everything without ever being too shrill, singing sustain and sweetness.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Stan,

What are your favourite OD pedals in order of preference and where in the 'food chain' does the Soul Food come?
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.