FT Member
    Thanks

Default String it up a proper way baby ;-)

Hey guys.Sorry if similar treat is here already but I didn't find one.Any way,looks like there is a few way to re-string the guitar.Many videos on youtube,many opinions.What way do you wind up the string?Any good tips/hinds???
    Does anybody using that lockknot ???
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHgSSzpsxuw
    Do you take one string at the time,or all at once so you can give little polish to the freat?
    And one question about the string thickness -9's vs 10's Is there a big deal?Is there any deal?I used to play on 12's on acoustic just because we play a lot outside in bad weather and bad conditions and I playd quite raff and hard and I loved deep noise of it.But now I play electric guitar, mostly blues or soloing and love 9's for easy to pull/bend.
    So what is the other minor different between thinner and thicker strings ???

Many thanks
    Lako
    Last edited by Lako; 03-04-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Personally, I use the opportunity to polish the guitar and put conditioner on my rosewood FBs. I also use locking auto trim tuners, so I don't have to manually clip off the ends of the strings.

Regarding string gauge, I've used 10s almost forever, except once when I tried 11s. My take is that if I ever got a 24.75" scale guitar, I'd use 11s on it, because in my mind, that would get closer to the tension of 10s on a Strat, but this theory is unvalidated. To your question, I suspect that 10s will sound a smidgen fuller than 9s, but surely you could EQ that out, assuming you can even hear it. To me, it really boils down to feel. I do know, though, that my guitars were Plek'd to 10s, but I think one gauge up or down should be no problem.

The other thing is, if you're a very physical player (since you mention playing rough), you may want heavier gauge strings. I imagine that heavier gauge strings will induce more fret wear than lighter gauge strings, but as you know, the theory is that heavy gauge strings with high action leads to the best tone, although it also leads to difficult playing conditions. And who doesn't know about SRV using 13s (tuned a half step lower) and pummeling the hell out of them to such an extent that his frequent re-frets caused his '61 (or was it a '62?) Strat's fretboard radius to gradually go from 7.25" to 12". Supposedly, thats why Fender's SRV model has a 12" radius.

Srini

FT Member
    Thanks

Thanks SRini. I used to play on rough in country style band but that was some 10+years ago .now I play mostly blues and I like the feel of 9‘s .I was just wandering if I don't missing something as it looks like almost everyone plays 10‘s. But I thought as you said .I probable wouldn't be able to feel or hear different .

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Well...if Eric Johnson can hear the difference between a Duracell and an Energizer, I guess anything is possible, but I doubt it...:) You'll definitely feel the difference, though.

Srini
    Last edited by Srini; 03-05-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

To me, on axe with mighty pickups I like hybrid set (9-46), otherwise more likely 9-42. I hate classic tuner, hate to tune strings each time afte playing pause of one-two weeks... and praise then neck lock on our V2. Even on Elvircaster tuners are better than those I bought for some LPC from Gibson (tulip), so I need always to use special way of stringing in order to suppress oft de-tuning! You spend 70$ and some of them doesn't keep all strings in tune!? Very odd.