Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Default DR clone back home

I got my DR clone back from Eric yesterday. To my ears it has become a different amp. The clean channel (or what was the Vibrato channel) is still pretty much the same, but with a slightly tamed reverb. The two power scaling controls have been replaced with a PPIMV and a Cut control (a la Vox). The PPIMV is pretty good, although you can't really get it down to TV volume levels and retain the tone, like you could with power scaling, but this is something I'll need to experiment with. The Cut control is considerably more useful than I had imagined - the effect is relatively subtle, but it takes just the right amount of brightness off the top - exactly what I was looking for. With this setting, of course, some people may say that the amp may have lost some of its "Fenderiness" - nevertheless!

Now for the main part, the D-style OD. I may just live here all the time! Its like no OD I've ever used - its not fuzzy or brittle, but actually a little warmer than the clean tone by default, and still feels like a "clean" channel until you dig in, at which point it grinds and sustains. This is at reasonably low gain levels. As you turn up the gain, the singing sustain seems to increase, but you can still hear the pick attack. For my tastes, gain levels past 6 are way too much, but then the OD is affected by the clean volume level too.

For now it looks like since there is so much interaction between all the controls, its going to take me some time to get it just right, but whatever Eric did with the OD is nothing like any other amp I've played, that's for sure!

Oh, and on a side note, a buddy of his was at the shop/house, and he had a large Carvin head with him that did nothing except make a weird noise. But he got it from a guy who got it from Dweezil Zappa, and he swears that Steve Vai used it with Frank....:)

Srini

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

That sounds like all good news!

And that Carvin head, if it did come from Dweezil, it is quite probable that Frank and Steve both played through it. Those were the days.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

I'm sorry to gush like this, guys, but after a couple of days of playing a fair amount, all I can say is, I've never had an amp this good in my life! The OD channel, especially with the mid boost on, is such a warm, fat, singing voice - holy mackerel!!!

The only real problem is that I'm REALY sounding bad now. It is so darn unforgiving that every unintentional change in picking angle or intensity shows up. You really and truly have to want to make whatever picking changes happen, happen. This tone is definitely not for hacks like me. I can see I'm going to have to practice like crazy before I record with it. The Gries was a heck of a lot easier to deal with.

Anyway, I'll keep y'all posted and hopefully I'll feel confident enough to make a demo soon, but right now, this amp is way out of my league.

Srini

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

If the amp teaches you to play better, well, that's a feature that can't be advertised or added to the price tag! Dive in!
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Hopefully the amp will make you play more and that in itself can only be a good thang! Congratulations.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tele savalas View Post
    If the amp teaches you to play better, well, that's a feature that can't be advertised or added to the price tag! Dive in!
    Thanks, my friend! I'm rather disheartened, to tell you the truth. I just got done playing along with a couple of Larry Carlton and Robben Ford era Yellowjackets backing tracks, and tonewise, you could easily have used this amp on those sessions. The only problem is, it sounds like me playing, and let me tell you - people like me shouldn't be allowed within a mile of an amp like this.

Srini

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bb View Post
    Hopefully the amp will make you play more and that in itself can only be a good thang! Congratulations.
    Definitely, Cap'n! The funny thing is, I felt relatively comfortable with the Gries after a couple of hours. With this thing, after two days, I feel worse than when I got it home...:(

Srini

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Srini, I feel really good and really bad for you! Fortunately, we humans are capable of maintaining divergent feelings like that, well some of us anyway. But I kinda know what you are saying, I got the same feeling when I first got a good Telecaster. Those things refuse to hide the slightest defect or intonation problem, and force you to play better.

So what can I say? It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n roll!

You're just gonna have to buckle down and work it, my friend. Never look back.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Its a long way, for sure, Stan! For me anyway....(by the way. I could watch that movie for the tenth time!!)

You guys are absolutely right, though. There's only one way to skin this cat, and that's intense practice. I have half a mind to practice unplugged for the first 20 or 30 mins before I even turn the amp on. Just warm up stuff and stretching - stuff I never needed when I was younger, but my nearly-60-year-old hands and fingers ain't what they used to be. I can see how a good Tele would do the same thing, although maybe not a Strat.

The funny thing is that there are so many amps that are not like this. You can play most Mesas and they'll make anybody sound halfway decent. The Fender DR clean is hard to sound bad on (in this case too). I even had a Fuchs modified Princeton once - "modified" being the wrong word, because Andy apparently just throws out the Fender electronics and puts in his ODS PC board. That was sort of like this, but nothing so extreme. I could still sound like a halfway competent player.

This amp really and truly makes me sound worse than a beginner. Oh well, time to roll my sleevs, eh?

Srini

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Is there a way to post mp3 clips?