Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fender Lover
    Thanks

Default Acoustic for Strat player

I've only had a few acoustics in my hands that felt easy to play. The problem is that I started out 40 years ago on electrics and have never built up an acoustic skill base. My playing consists of bar chords and scales all over the neck.

I also know the quality I'm looking for is an individual thing with specific guitars and that I'm not likely to find a guitar with the right feel without playing a lot of them. I am hoping to narrow the search down by tapping into the experience represented here on this forum.

What acoustic guitars do you have that feel and play most like a Strat? I'm planning to play it unplugged or miked.
    --Rig

FT Member
    Thanks

I surely gonna keep an eye on that one. Many of acoustics passed my hands over the years as I plaid in busy country-folk band and I never get even close to /real/ Strat sound. oddly enough the Fender acoustic I still have was the furthest of all lol.
    The closest I get is dirty old ugly Yamaha from charity shop for 19.99 I love that one.It's still my No.1 acoustic over all.
    Last edited by Lako; 01-24-2015 at 03:27 PM. Reason: spell

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Rig, Try a few OOO models and see how you like them. The short scale with less string tension will favour someone coming from electric guitar. Particularly good if you like bending the strings.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Or...drop the pitch a half step or even a full step (would work better with a "full scale") I had to do this when I sustained a left arm injury years ago.... gradually was able to tune back up but still use electric strings on my acoustic.
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

I'd check out some Taylor guitars, they are known for their nice playing necks. And they sound quite nice.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

FT Member
    Thanks

You should really try a Godin Acousticaster.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Geez, Rig, it's good to hear from you!!

I have a Taylor that has a very comfortable neck and playability that blew away all of the Marshalls I tried, but it's expensive. I know this is not really what you're looking for but I got one of these and the neck is super-comfy and the action is great - with light strings it plays like a number of electrics I've tried. The sound is great, and the only drawback is the tuners:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Regal-RD-30M...item43d50b82c4
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I don't get into a substantial guitar shop very often. I have tried a Taylor or two, and I liked them okay, but the sound on those was not very lively. I'll also be looking for shorter scale guitars and see if that action is good for my fingers. Keep sending suggestions. My price range is probably up to $1500.
    --Rig

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I also had a setback a year ago that damaged the nerves on my left hand. I got a vaccination for pneumonia that attacked the radial nerve. Hurt like hell from my spine to my fingertips. I kept playing guitar, but I couldn't feel much except the pain you get when your hand is asleep. Acoustic guitars just hurt a lot more and sounded a lot worse. I'm just now getting my feeling back and finding my tone again. Just a little pain and numbness. So beware those injections.
    --Rig

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Dang, Rig! It sure is good to hear from you again, but I'm real sorry about all you had to go through. Now I know why I pass on all those vaccinations whenever I can. I hope the road back to health is smooth for you.

I'm not much of an acoustic player. I do have a very nice Alvarez-Yairi DY-57 that's been with me for about 30 years now but it doesn't get much attention. Mostly, I play electric guitars, that's just my preference.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.