Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DI

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Default DI

I'm in a bit of a quandary. As you know, I do all my recording via DI, and so I'm in a situation that is rather different from gigging players. Currently, my signal path goes from the amp's speaker output to a Koch Dummybox to the audio interface (leaving out any mixers or effects for now). The Koch has a passive 8 ohm load rated at 60W and has speaker emulated recording outputs, which basically means simulated EQ - nothing fancy. By and large, I'm satisfied with the tones I get, and your comments indicated that you guys weren't dis-satisifed either.

From the reading I've been doing, it appears that I've compromised on two fronts - the passive load, and the emulated EQ. The emulated EQ I think I can get around by using an uncompensated signal while tracking, then using an IR from within Cubase. Consensus seems to have it that IRs are far better than the best hardware emulators you can get - I'll find out when I get back home in January.

Which leaves the passive load.

Turns out that Weber puts out a couple of attenuators that use a speaker motor as a resistive device, rather than a passive load, ostensibly resulting in the most natural load that can be presented to an amp. These units do not have a speaker emulated output. This means that I could pull out my cheapo Behringer emulator box just for playing, and use no emulation for recording with the intent of using an IR later on. This also means that I could potentially ask Eric to forget about putting in any kind of MV in the DR clone, because in the extremely rare event of my actually playing out, the attenuation from the Weber should suffice.

The main point, though, is that I don't see any experiences described on the interwebs about using the Weber units in a DI context - everybody seems to focus exclusively on attenuation in the classic sense.

Any thoughts, guys?

Srini

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Scroll down to "Option 1" in this article - I think this is what you're after - using the Weber unit with the emulation turned off: http://www.redwirez.com/tutorials.jsp
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Bb For This Useful Post:

Srini (11-23-2014)

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

That's exactly what I'm after. My dilemma now is whether to hang on to the Koch, or to get the Weber unit, and if I do get the Weber, does that render the MV implementation in the DR clone moot.

The Redwire stuff seems pretty affordable - about 40 bucks for the convolution plugin, and something like ten bucks for each cabinet, or for a buck fifty, you can get the Big Box with tons of cabs and the plugin for free. I guess the downside of that would be more tweaking and less music....potentially.

Srini

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Srini View Post
    ...does that render the MV implementation in the DR clone moot.
    I guess it depends whether you like the sound of the attenuator as opposed to a Master Volume. Reducing the signal before the power amp is not quite the same as reducing it between the power amp and the speaker. You have lots of clean headroom one way but have power amp distortion the other. Attenuators can produce a more compressed. boxy sound as a result.

Which sounds better is up to you.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

You're right, Capn...the voice of measured reason...:)

I guess it boils down to whether there is a significant difference between a passive load and a reactive load like the Weber. Sometimes I think this is enough already and get down to business with recording. After all, the Beatles had such crappy equipment by comparison when they did Please Please Me....but then, they had George Martin.....hmmmm

Srini

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Looks like this could be a good set of tools:

http://www.two-notes.com/en/software...ll-of-sound-3/

Its free for 30 days, then you have to buy one cab to register the plug in - each one costs about 10 bucks. I'd say thats a good deal.

Then, for the IRs themselves, people seem t be saying good things about this:

http://www.ownhammer.com/

I believe I saw an EVM-12L cab somewhere, which would interest me a lot, since thats what Larry uses...:)

Srini

Fenderfied
    Thanks

And if it's good enough for Larry.....

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

... It's good enough for me.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

As long as we're not talking Leapin' Larry.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Guess what I found yesterday!

http://www.suhr.com/Reactive-Load/

Its got me seriously thinking of getting rid of my Koch Dummybox.

Srini