Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Fenderfied
    Thanks

And I tend to listen to the Beatles this time of year. I particularly listen to the middle albums around Christmas. I must have some reason for that.
    Isnt it good? Norwegian Wood.
    I'm not sayin' that, I'm just sayin'......

FT Member
    Thanks

My personal preference is ebony. Replaced the necks on my strat and tele with a 12" radius ebony fret board.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Oh yeah, I've got lots of love for ebony. I have a couple of Les Pauls, and 3 Carvin guitars that have ebony boards and they project great tone. I haven't converted any of my Fender guitars to ebony, but if I was switching necks I would definitely consider that option.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

FT Member
    Thanks

+1 for ebony.

Thanks

For me itís about two things, neither of which is tone.

1. Feel, this to me is the most important factor in selecting a fretboard wood. I donít even think it matters what wood the rest of the neck is either. I really dislike maple fretboards as I feel like my fingers sort of stick to them, itís hard to explain but I donít feel I can play as smoothly and effortlessly on maple as opposed to rosewood and ebony. Iíve never played on any other fretboards. I have played on full scalloped fretboard, so if it were maple this shouldnít even be a consideration as youíre not touching the fretboard at all when playing a scalloped neck but this leads to my second point...

2. Look, while not as important as feel, I really dislike the look of a maple fretboard. Older guitars where the finish is wearing on a maple fretboard just look dirty to me...Iím not a fan of the ďvintageĒ or ďdistressedĒ look of a guitar, especially when new, of course itís difficult to keep your guitar in mint condition if you play it frequently but nicks, wear and other things that happen from regular use are normal, the ďdistressedĒ look just isnít to me. I find that a rosewood or ebony fretboard it just more pleasing to my eye.

A note on tone; after 35 years of playing a variety of guitars, I find that while all good quality woods may have a subtle effect on tone, and to me itís not imperceptible but EXTREMELY subtle, you can compensate for tonal variances in quality woods with good pickups, amps and equalization and this is way more impactful than the wood choice. Bad wood on the other hand is a different story as it leads to so many more problems than just bad tone.

I should also note that this is of course not quite the same for an acoustic. Wood selection has a more significant impact on an acoustic instrumentís tone. Iíve seen and played some guitars that were all spruce which sounded really bright and an all rosewood acoustic which for me was too warm. Iíve got a Martin HD-28 and for me it has the perfect balance of warmth and brightness. Though even on an acoustic string selection and age have a much more significant impact on overall tone than the woods but wood is huge when building an acoustic versus an electric.

Never played a hollow body or semi-hollow body electric so I canít comment on them.

In a nutshell, if a guitar looks and feels good to me then in my simple mind it will play and sound better. On the other hand if a guitar looks OR feels bad then I wonít feel it plays well or sounds well. This is probably all in my mind but itís much like golf in that most of the issues I have with my playing are in my head and not in the actual equipment Iím using. Poor quality equipment however is poor quality equipment and will have an impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

I'm with D-49, I do not believe it makes one iota difference in playability or tone. Honestly, I think it boils down to looks.
    Stay tuned - SAguitar

FT Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
    I do not believe it makes one iota difference in playability or tone. Honestly, I think it boils down to looks.
    +1

all guitars are beautiful =)
    Last edited by childed; 05-08-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The first two times I got married was for looks, and those didn't work out too well. Number three, I went for quality and integrity, and that one was a keeper.

I use the same standards now for guitars. Carry on.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

But your wife is Gorgeous, though, right??
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yup! Got that right!