Fender Lover
    Thanks

Lightbulb Fender Rascal, new product from FCS

I'm not expert for bass guitars, nor average bass player, even I like to chug on it each time I get a opportunity. Most of us will agree that Gibson make nice guitars (beside Fender, of course) but when we speak about electric bass then I give a nice advantage to Fender bass guitars. Each family has some special member, so Fender has its Fender Custom Shop. It's a nice place where saw the light of day many good and expensive guitars. So it be again: Jason Smith, master luthier designed Rascal, 4-string bass model. At first look, it is some kind look as tribute to Stratocaster philosophy, but has many smooth contour and calmness of early '60.
    Its creator had in mind wish to create nice bass, with short scale (30"), where player would be able to get upper frets. Body is made of traditional alder, 21-fretted neck of maple, with rosewood fingerboard and handsome dot inlays. Bolt-on, of course. Whole idea is spiced with nice ocean turquoise blue paint over body, and headstock too. Headstock isn't classic shaped like we saw in past, but borrowed from Coronado. Other parts are also seen on other different guitars but here are collected in order to give to the bass real retro look I already mentioned above. Pleasant news for me were even 3 pickups, lipstick design by Seymour Duncan (), where bridge PU is even angled like Stratocaster does, just in opposite direction. Rest of electronic is made of one 5-way switch on lower horn, and two potis, master tone i push-pull master volume. All these elements are situated on pearloid pickguard. Bridge is also retro type, curved well, with saddles that looks like Tele design, but it's from Guild Starfire bass. Thanks to nice design, electronics... Rascal offer a plenty of tone variety for less than 800 USD.
    As far as I can understand, this model caused many interest among bass players, so Fender decided to make MIM series, low budget axe.
    Last edited by Littlefloor; 12-16-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: I was mad!

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Cool-looking axe! Is that the Mexican product listed at $799?
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tele savalas View Post
    Cool-looking axe! Is that the Mexican product listed at $799?
    As far as I can see, it's MIM made. Beside it, there is note that this product is for US market only!? Sweetwater won't sell it outside US border.
    But, Thomann in UK sell it for 820 EUR or 1026 USD, also MIM (printed on back of headstock) And no case, just nice gigbag.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Lot of money for a Mexican product, but I think it will sell - to me it looks attractive as hell, a bass without a ponderously long neck and overall, just a very sexy-looking guitar! I think it would appeal to guitarists who want to start playing bass as well as kids who want to learn bass but have hands too small for a regular bass neck scale.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

I like that Rascal!
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

FT Member
    Thanks

Interesting little bass. I like the three pickups--kind of like the old Fender VI.

I hope nobody shoots me for this but I had a Danelectro/Silvertone "dolphin bass" around 1974-75 that I used in a ShaNaNa-type stage band. The lipstick pickups were great for tic-tac bass but pretty weak, so I pulled them out and mounted a set of Jazz bass pickups. That was a real fun bass to play--very light weight but sounding like a Jazz bass.