Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Into and a Vintage P-Bass to share

Hi!
    My name is Kerry Kroger I live in Missouri "Collect" and play Guitars and Basses etc.
    Some were left to me when my dad died in 1991. I remember them being in the house all the time when I was growing up. Then they were in Mom's house, while I was in the Military. Then in 2011 there was a fire and it occurred in the room where the instruments were kept. My amplifiers were damaged and thought to be a total loss, SUNN Bass Amp and cabs, Marshall Head and cabs, and a Fender head and cabs... Rack equipment, and sadly some instruments did not make it. All received some smoke damage but very MINOR. All the cases were wrecked... The Amps have been rebuilt, the guitars are all in my home now so without further adieu I give you.
    1952 P-Bass (Family Member)
    Dad bought this bass in 1952 brand new, a Butterscotch blonde original.

Original Receipt

My Gear and Restored Amps.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Welcome to FT, Kerry!!! That bass is more than awesome, and a 10,000% yield on the investment at the very least, from what I can see! So, I have to ask - being from Missouri, do you remember Lo Whitney and the Morells?

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

What an incredible story, Kerry! Thanks for joining us here at FT.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Thanks

Thanks! The 52 is all original save for the strings, I put Fender Stainless Flats on it.
    I do have a question about the Bridge Ash Tray was there a factory applied foam or something Mute in there? There is sign of something having been glued in there.
    I don't recollect dad making any changes, I also have some 78 RPM records with his voice and this bass on them. The instrument is 100% original cloth wrapped wire, original pots, pickup is original, years ago I removed the neck to see the pencil marks but the pages I wrote them down on and the pics I took are long gone. before the "Digital" days.
    He always played through a craptastic silvertone (sears) amplifier. Would LOVE to have a TV front Bassman to go with it! I want to point out also that Dad only paid $203.49 for the bass when he bought it new. Adjusted for inflation is $1736 and change...
    A NEW American Standard P-Bass runs around $1300 these days... Not bad...
    Per Census figures the average annual income in 1952 was about $3900.... 2012 Average was about $56k
    Here is another shot of the kids... Gibson 1957 Les Paul Junior
    2000 Hotrod P-Bass, Gretsch Double Jet, The 52, Tele built from parts, MIM J-bass, Hamer Korina Standard, 12 String Bass.

Here is another interesting instrument...
    1937 Epiphone Electar Spanish, this is another of my dad's instruments I recall from growing up.
    Not terribly sure of the value on something like this.. it is interesting but not a particularly "Good" instrument.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

W-O-W man, that is a sweet collection! Nice gems ya got there. I do believe there was a little chunk of foam glued in underneath that big chrome arch. Like the flatwounds were too bright, or something! Most guys ripped that out pretty quick. If not, it would have disintegrated by now anyway. Dude, you are so blessed to still have that bass in the family.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Thanks

Here are a few more shots of Dad's 52... What sort of a value do you guys think it might be worth?
    I would like to add it on my insurance policy itemized to avoid the problems should something occur in the future.
    I lost a lot of stuff in the fire that was not covered since it was not itemized.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

After further review it appears that what I have here is a 51 P the receipt shows a 5 carboned over the 4 in 194_ and a 1...
    Further the Cap in the control set
    Couple more pics to share...

Controls (no markings in cavity)

Pickup (not removing the pickup to see any markings there)

Fenderfied
    Thanks

After an appraisal you should have a rider attached to your homeowners policy. They will want appraisals (from your bud @ the local shop is OK; on their letterhead) with serial numbers. They'll ask for reciepts; not necessary. You can get 10 grand coverage for about a hunnerd bucks.
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....