Page 1 of 121 1231151101 ... LastLast
    Fenderfied
    Thanks

Default The Captain's Shaving Thread

I was a long time electric shaver in my youth and progressed to wet shaving with the advent of multi-blade cartridge razors. However, I finally ditched those when I tried 'proper' wet shaving with a safety razor a little while ago.

Like all good things, it's been a learning curve - which has taken time and patience to acquire...and indeed has it's own form of GAS too of course. I'm currently using a couple of different DE safety razors - an Edwin Jagger DE89 and an Ikon OSS but I'm thinking about progressing to a single blade cut-throat type razor sometime soon, for the ultimate old school shaving experience (or so they say).

So, how many of you guys are getting baby-smooth with a wet blade?
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Not me! I've been using Norelco electric shavers since I was a teenager. I don't like sharp things too close to my neck!
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bb View Post
    ).

So, how many of you guys are getting baby-smooth with a wet blade?
    I'm not fan of electric shaver, had a one years ago and blades were sluggish. I replaced it with classic, old fashioned razor with one blade, then with plastic with 2-3 blades. Enough good for 2-3 shave process and get next. Even during ads people say it's hard to cut yourself I was successfully many time, especially when I tried to be very good shaved (Skin is just wriggled beneath my fingers and find out blade)

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

I've always used multi-blade replaceable cartridges, but the old-school half of my routine is to shave in the shower using brush and soap. We recently changed water heaters to save energy. The new one has no tank, so it's not heating water other than when we're using hot water. It is unfortunately as far as possible from my shower and it takes a couple of minutes to get hot water. If I'm in a hurry I'll use the Norelco while I'm waiting, but if I use it too often I get zits. I'd like to feel like a teenager again, but that's not how it's done!
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

The Captain should always be clean-shaven. The crew? Depends upon the Captain. I hear keel-hauling will scrape hair from the most stubborn places.

Oh, yeah... three-blade (max) disposable but since my shavin' arm's outa commission I've reverted back to a small Wahl trimmer/shaver. It's about as fast as my beard growth so I'm never quite done with it....
    Last edited by badxmpl; 12-03-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I have used multi-blades for a long time and like that "smooth as a baby's ass" feeling.
    Les Paul Traditional Pro
    PRS CE24
    Fender VG Strat
    Fender CyberTwin SE
    Marshall AVT150H

Fender Lover
    Thanks

multi-blade cartridge razors here. sensor excel for a long time, been using the mach3 as of late. i own an electric and will use it in an emergency. however, it does not get as close as the cartridges and the "soft under belly" of my neck will break out - much like Doc - in pimples/agitated cuts if i use the electric too often.

~MW
    "But hey, I like these cheap riffs, they make me happy and alive each day here, when all seems lost and grey good riff pump blood stronger, sweat visit your face and - you feel then all right!"~ Elvir 2015

FenderTalker
    Thanks

I have always preferred a wet shave. I too use a sensor excel, which seems to do a fine job. My concession to 'old school' is that I use ordinary soap to lather up with. I don't bother with a brush I just smear the bar of soap over my bristles and work up a lather with my hands. It's a lot cheaper than buying gels or foams.

I did try an electric shaver for a short time but I never felt shaved afterwards. My dad told me that back in the day when he started shaving if you went into a shop to buy an electric razor the shop attendant would examine your bristles through a magnifying glass to determine whether you would do better with a foil shaver or a rotary. Maybe I just had the wrong type.
    You know, said Arthur, its at times like this, when Im trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish Id listened to what my mother told me when I was young.
    Why, what did she tell you?
    I dont know, I didnt listen.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

The Excel is still a great razor but I think the Mach 3 was the best of the cartridges for me (right number of blades for a single pass). I have a Fusion 5 blade too but it drags somewhat, so I only use the single back blade on it these days for precision cleaning-up under the nose n' stuff on occasions.

I got into proper wet shaving gradually by replacing the can of Gel with a brush and soap first of all. That lasted a whole lot longer than the cans (years longer in fact!) and so a fraction of the cost once the initial outlay of a decent brush was taken care of.

I then started doing multi passes for a closer shave, which is where multi blade cartridges loose the edge (pun intended) and skin iritation takes over, big time!

From there I stepped headlong into the world of single blade (double edged) safety razors and hacked myself up a fair bit in the process until I got my chops together.

I'm generally a two passer with the safety for a normal shave these days (I have fairly sensitive skin) but go to three if the occasion warrants ;)

Using the safety razor takes time and prep, so no good (for me) for those early morning starts. Instead, I shave in the evenings where I can take the right amount of time and due care. It almost becomes an art form and is very theraputic.

I will, however, still run a multi blade cartridge over these old jowells first thing in the morning if I have to (one pass only) as a "get me out of jail" emergency measure.

This Fella makes it look easy but this is where I'm at these days:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiXojYrLhVA
    Last edited by Captain Bb; 12-03-2013 at 09:23 PM.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

I agree on the Mach 3. The 4-blade cartridges drag and pull. Christ, the more blades they cram in the, the more it starts to look like the front end of Clark Griswold's station wagon. Cap'n, that vid has me interested in the DE89. A couple of questions: what do you think he's using for lather? Someone asked him in the comments but he didn't respond. Also, how often are you changing the blade, and is any old double-edge blade fine, or is there a significant range in quality?
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Page 1 of 121 1231151101 ... LastLast