Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Fenderfied
    Thanks

Default New FenderTalk Site Owner

Hello, in case you had not heard, FenderTalk is under new management as of this past weekend.

We are in the process of cleaning some things up and adding some much needed protection from spammers and bots. We will also be reorganizing some of the forums and improving the focus on FENDER -- both from a corporate and instrument point of view.

The changes coming are too many to mention, but we trust that most of you will find the changes for the better. We know that many of your have a difficult time with change. We're sorry about that. But hopefully you all will come along for the ride and see what comes next.

If you want to know my "qualifications" for running FenderTalk?

My name is Paul Green. I am the owner of GearTalk Network. I own 8 other guitar forums and have owned and operated forums since 1999. I own and operate:

www.tdpri.com
    www.Strat-Talk.com
    www.Gretsch-Talk.com
    www.Gibson-Talk.com
    www.Squier-Talk.com
    www.AxeTalk.com
    And, along with FenderTalk I purchased www.BluesTalk.com from Conrad, as well.

Together my other forums have combined memberships of over 125,000 registered members, 1.3 million unique visitors per month and 85 million page views per year. This is a for profit business.

You'll notice we operate another "Fender" forum as well -- www.talkfender.com. We haven't decided at this point, but we may merge the two sites at some time in the future. Again, this is not a foregone conclustion at this time.

Thanks for your support and continued participation
    FenderTalk
    PS. There will be new rules spelled out. We think you'll find most of them to be reasonable and fair. For the most part they will be the same as they are at our other websites.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I'm so surprised so that I don't know what to say with my limited English..!? It was so sudden, unexpectedly,... if somebody ask me for opinion, I don't see some good reason for a merge of Fendertalk with some other Fender's related forum, this is place what we like to be so, I'm sure that some FT's members are also members of other forums without any issue. Why now mix wine and water? About changes, I vote for better forum layout, improved design and faster reload. maybe chat room, if someone doesn't like a hassle with facebook & Co chat service.
    In the end, what can I say: we came here as guests and we stayed here as a family by years. I wish you welcome to the most cordial Fender-related forum on the Net.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Well, Paul, I will say you've done a heluva job with TDPRI (where I am known as Old Doc Skinner). I always feared that Conrad would just shut FT down because it wasn't worth his time, and that we close friends here would lose touch with one another. So I'm glad that he sold the forum to you instead of the alternative and I will thank you in advance for keeping it alive in one form or another. You may have noticed that this is a much smaller world than TDPRI, and we're pretty tight here. To give you an idea, peruse this thread when you have time:

http://www.fendertalk.com/forum/show...y-White-Strat!
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Hello and welcome to our little corner of the virtual world Paul.

Like our esteemed Tele Savalas (You're Old Doc Skinner? I never guessed) and a number of others around here, I also have memberships at many of the other forums (fora?) in your stable, all except Gibson & Gretsch in fact. You kinda had me at
    We are in the process of cleaning some things up and adding some much needed protection from spammers and bots.
    - this has been an issue for quite some time and has seriously limited my participation on a couple of forums, particularly here and BluesTalk (which had other issues as well, but I notice you have already taken steps on those).

There will be new rules spelled out. We think you'll find most of them to be reasonable and fair.
    "Most of them"? Are there some unreasonable and unfair ones in there too?
    There is none so blind as he that cannot see...

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Teleblooz View Post
    "Most of them"? Are there some unreasonable and unfair ones in there too?
    Well, we think that ALL of them are fair and reasonable. Funny thing is, not everyone sees it exactly the same as I do.

I'll say this, we run the TDPRI the strictest -- but it's so large and fast moving that it can get more out of hand than the others. We apply the same rules at our other sites, but since they don't have the same history as the TDPRI we feel we can be more lenient with them. Sometimes we have to crack down on "lawlessness" but that's pretty rare.

We've started working on cleaning things up here and at BT. Seems someone let the fences go here a while ago and we've got lots of spambot memberships. We've blocked the new ones and we'll be working on removing the old ones as best we can.

Our goal for FT is to make it much larger. But then that's our goal with all of our websites. Sometimes it works (see Strat-Talk) and sometimes it doesn't (see Gibson-Talk). We think FT can rival, certainly, the other large Fender forums, if not surpass them eventually. But we hope to keep it a fun, friendly place too. If you like "slow" that might sound disappointing. But there are benefits with a faster moving set of posts and posters.

I'm sure some of my ideas will run contrary to some of you. I apologize in advance for that. But I'm betting we can work together to make things improved for everyone on the whole.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tele savalas View Post
    Well, Paul, I will say you've done a heluva job with TDPRI (where I am known as Old Doc Skinner).
    Don't we also have a Tele Savalas on the TDPRI, too? But I recognize the ODS username as well. And especially, your Avatar over there - the "kid with the mustache."

Thanks for the kind words.

PS. I checked we do have a Tele Savalas on the TDPRI, he's an old time member from pre-2003 with only 2 posts. But he regularly visits and lurks.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Hey, Paul... Or should we call you "Sir"? Welcome!
    We used to have a rule about new members posting links. I guess we'll have to consider making an exception in your case. BTW, this is the only site I hang out at because It does feel like family. Mrs. Bad refers to the other members here as "my imaginary friends", tho...
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by badxmpl View Post
    We used to have a rule about new members posting links.
    Yeah, you had that to fight off the spambots. But really, it just makes new members have to post 15 bad posts to get permission to post a link to an Ebay auction they want info on.

I prefer to go after the spambots when they try to register. Block 'em there and you don't need those rules.

I'll be removing those posting rules -- if I haven't already, I can't remember if it did it yet. The result of this is we won't be 100% effective at keeping spambots away, but we can live with 98% effective. Just report any new spam you see and I'll swoop in and take it out of here right away.

PS. For the record, "Sir" was my fathers name.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenderTalk View Post
    But we hope to keep it a fun, friendly place too. If you like "slow" that might sound disappointing. But there are benefits with a faster moving set of posts and posters.
    Agree fully. I'm not necessarily a fan of "slow" per se, but I do value the familial atmosphere that's been a hallmark of this forum for as long as I've been here. This has been the case whether there has been a lot of traffic or a little, so it's not directly a function of size. My sense of Strat-Talk is that it strikes a nice balance between the two, so kudos where it's due (now that I'm in the process of building another Strat I'll probably be stopping in more often). TDPRI has ballooned to a point where I find it a little overwhelming at times, just from sheer scale. Oh well - the price of success I guess. It's still one of my prime go-to spots for info.
    There is none so blind as he that cannot see...

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Hi Paul,

I'd just like to echo the comments made by the other guys here. What's unique about this place is the close-knit community and humour of the members, which is quite without equal to my mind. I'm a member of most of the other sites in your stable and visit Strat-Talk and TDPRI (in that order) mostly but to me they don't have the same feel as this place. As such, I'm hoping that, barring a new lick of paint, any rule changes will be minimal...but as long as the same members here keep coming back that'll be fine by me.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.