FT Member
    Thanks

Default Any short scale fans here?

I thought it might be interesting to talk about scale length and what your preferences are. I figured that this might be the right place to do it, since so many of the shorter-scaled Fenders fit into "Children Of A Lesser Leo" Bracket. If I called it wrong, mods, feel free to move the thread. Thanks.

I'm a short scale fan myself. The first real Fender guitar I owned, in 1970, was a new Mustang....one of those blue metallic ones with the white competition stripes. I only had it for about a year and didn't acquire another short scale Fender until 1985, when a delinquent tenant gave me his mint 66 Bronco instead of 300.00 cash. I had that one a year and only sold it to be able to buy my 59 Tele.

When I started building guitars, I found I liked the partscasters with short scale necks the best. Two of my Strats have 24.75" scale 1986 Contemporary Squier necks, My CV Duosonic has a 1971 Musicmaster 24" scale neck, my Cabronita Thinline has a 1965 Musicmaster II 22.5" scale neck, and my 1997 Squier DuoSonic has a 22.7" scale neck.

My taste in basses runs in the same direction....my partscaster Tele bass with 25.5" scale, a modified Turser Beatle Bass with 30" scale, a Rickenbacker 4001 clone with 33.25" scale, and only one fullsize partscaster Tele bass.

I hear lots of people who don't like smaller guitars, particularly if they've got big paws. My hands aren't huge, and being afflicted with arthritis, the short reach and compact feel of Fender short scales suits me fine.

So, tell me what you like.... Do you like the short scales, or are you just a fan of the Fender models that happen to fit the profile?

This is my smallest scaled partscaster - 22.5" scale Thinline Cabronita

"I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Nice lookin' rig, Spellcaster! It looks like it goes fast! Personally, I'm not a fan of the shorter scale lengths. While not large, I have about average size hands, and I get around fine with the regular necks. I do like to play on a Gibson occasionally and appreciate that length well when I do. I used to have a Musicmaster for awhile, but I found it difficult for me to manage, so I ended up selling it.
    "Life's too short not to enjoy great tone."

Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Never seemed quite as comfortable on a shorter scale for some reason. I've got a couple of Gibby-scale guitars, including my Epi Dot Studio that I actually play out with occasionally, and I always find myself overreaching in the heat of the moment at least once a night. I'm sure it's more an issue of familiarity than anything else, although I do have good-sized paws. But as long as my #1 is a standard-scale Telecaster I don't see that changing much.

It didn't hurt that I played bass for some 20 years either.
    There is none so blind as he that cannot see...

FenderTalker
    Thanks

I have owned a couple of the PRS short scale guitars, both fine instruments that played and sounded great. After several decades on standard length necks and being able to grab an 'A' chord or a barre 'D' at the fifth fret with my eyes closed, i just couldnt get use to the shorter distance/location of the frets. And unless i stared at the neck constantly i found myself quite often a fret off. Never could get up the courage to take one onstage, so i let both of them go pretty quickly and i'm back to playing my beloved Strats and Teles for the duration.
    The problem with internet quotes is, it is very hard to determine their authenticity --Abraham Lincoln 1864

Thanks

Man, this thread is pretty darn quiet!

But I am a huge fan of short scales. My shortest is only 13"! OK so it's a ukulele

But I do currently own an awesome short scale guitar. A black, MIM Fender Stratocaster Junior. I've also owned a couple of MIM Duo Sonics and a red Strat Jr. in the past.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

I worked all of the summer of 1965 at a resort in Big Indian, NY to save up to buy an electric guitar and amp. A friend recommended a guitar shop in Brooklyn and off we went in search of gear. I wanted a Strat but they were out at the time and the sales guy directed me toward this new model Mustang. I had serious GAS so I came home with a blue Mustang and an Ampeg Gemini amp.

I played that beautiful Mustang until I was 50 years old and decided to treat myself to a Strat. I wanted to sing a song at my daughter's Bat Mitzvah in 1999, so I dusted it off but the bridge pickup was dead so I had a local luthier replace it with an SD JB Jr. pickup. It has gone through a couple of pickup changes since then though. It's still a great player but I don't use it much anymore. My old drummers' sister was an art student back in the 60's and painted my Mustang and the other band member's SG with psychedelic designs.

I had a little adventure with it back in 1981. I lived in Harrisburg, PA for a few years and at one point had lent it and my Kustom amp to a "friend" at work. I was getting close to moving back to NY and asked him for my equipment back. He was going through a divorce and had quit his job, so I had trouble tracking him down. I recovered my amp from his house through his wife, but Dave was MIA in Ohio somewhere. I had to move back to NY without my guitar. I was really pissed and reported it stolen to my insurance company who told me they would have to contact the local police. I said "Go for it!!" About a month after I moved back to Long Island, I got a call from a cop in the Hershey Police Dept. that my wayward Mustang had been recovered. Drove back and forth to PA again to retrieve my trusty axe.

It's still a great guitar and I will never sell it, but I wish I had bought a Strat instead. Mainly because if I had a '65 Strat in the condition my Mustang is in, it would be worth a LOT OF DOUGH.

Here it is in front of my "new" Ampeg Reverberocket. The old Gemini is gone unfortunately.

Last edited by Dangerine49; 07-19-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people" Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat, "We're all mad here 'n stuff."

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I did use to have a Duo-Sonic that came out of the 60s and was in great shape. It had a beautifully flamed maple neck, which always amazed me, that a student guitar like that would have such a lovely neck. It also had two wonderful sounding pickups in it. But I couldn't ever get the knack of making clear chords on that tiny neck so I ended up selling it to a friend.

FT Member
    Thanks

My collection of short-scale guitars has remained consistent since I started the thread, but I recently acquired another short-scale bass.....Actually, reacquired this one. I owned this one in the 70's and early 80's, and a couple of months ago. found it hanging in the local pawnshop while I was buying a JBL bass cabinet. It's a 1963 Gibson EB3 with two vintage Precision pickups and one of the original Leo Quon bridges. It's a little the worse for wear, but still plays great.

"I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Super Moderator
    Thanks

So is that a Fenson, or a Gibder? I like it either way.