Fenderfied
    Thanks

Default humming Kramer 700st

I told my bassist I'd shield his old Kramer since it hums quite a lot... my question is that the neck pickup is two offset (barely overlapping) 4 pole single coils together. This is a humbucker, right?
    And shouldn't need shielding? Well, if I switch the 'bucker on and move it to the front of my amp (or a florescent light) it hums just like the single coil (but a little deeper tone).....

Is this normal? Any thoughts, Anyone?

Thanks!
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Default Anyone??

Moving on.... I shielded the all the cavities and grounded them all. Still a lot of hum but it seems as if the control knobs are microphonic!! Anyone ever run into this? If you tap on them it's kinda like you've tapped on the pickups... possibly a bit louder/clearer. Near the amp it gets a lot of hum regardless of the selector position, but this gets better as you move away. The knob thing remains, tho....

anyone?
    Last edited by badxmpl; 08-01-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Mo Info

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure those are single-coils, like a Fender Precision. That's what was on my Kramer. And yeah, shielding the cavities should help some. A couple of questions to check out though.

One: are you SURE the hum comes from getting close to the AMP? I ask because I noticed a hum problem in my music room too. Every time I walked over to my amp I'd get RF hum, even after I shielded my Tele (shielding won't make it all go away; it just makes it less sensitive). As it turned out though, the actual RF source wasn't the amp - it just happened to be right next to it. It was (and is) a motion sensor from my house alarm system, mounted on the wall about 4 feet above the amp.

Two: Double-check your wiring, especially the ground connections since you did the shielding job. Make sure you have a good ground connection not just from the shielding, but from the pots, bridge, whatever hardware is supposed to get grounded. When you go "under the hood" it's very easy to break a wire and not even notice. This might have something to do with the pots' problem, but I can't swear to that. Sometimes it's a real forehead-slapper like getting the polarity reversed on the output jack or something similarly "D'oh!".
    There is none so blind as he that cannot see...

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Thanks for the help, man.... re:ONE.... yes. But seems to be affected much more by tube amps than SS. Two: a wire did fall off one of the double single coils (don't 2 single coils create a humbucker?) but I fixed that before shielding. Maybe the weak connection was responsible for the original hum, but I'd never heard this particular bass so don't know.

I ended up taking it to a repair shop for "diagnosis". The repair person said "just a characteristic of that bass and its cheap pickups"... BTW... no hum with her SS amp.... So... back to it's owner it goes. Hell, he's got a buttload of basses anyway.... probably the only reason it's not sold is that it's not worth much.

Thanks again for the suggestions.