Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast
    Fender Lover
    Thanks

Default You can always Teleblooz man, but you can't tell 'im much...

Dear Diary:

Well, it's Thursday night in Puddletown and the rain just started coming down, so it looks like we're going to start living up to our reputation again this year. Seems like a good time to reflect 'n stuff.

My wife Tracy's in the hospital after just having had a tumor cut out of her pancreas on Monday - not cancerous thank god, but she's having kind of a rough go of the recovery. But the doc said what she's going through is normal for this kind of surgery and she'll likely be coming home next week. All available appendages are crossed. Awful darn quiet around here in the meantime. Which is probably why I'm sitting here typing instead of getting the sleep I really ought to be getting before work tomorrow.

The band's kind of in limbo for the moment - not least because Tracy's our other lead singer - but we've got a practice scheduled for Sunday anyway. It'll be my first chance to try out my new setup, running my Blues Jr. through a 1x15 cab. Sounds like a dream at home - I can't wait to hear it with the other instruments. Plus it'll be the first time we try out our potential new part-time keyboard player to see how she fits into our set.

Been thinking lately that I need just one more guitar... well, maybe two (can anybody here relate?). I want some semblance of a Strat 'cause nothing else sounds quite like it. Maybe a Squier? Don't particularly want to blow a whole lot of money, since I don't foresee anything taking Baby Blue's #1 slot anytime soon.

Plus I've thought an awful lot lately about picking up some kind of hock-shop special and setting it up for slide. I don't want to raise the action on any of my other axes too much - it would screw up the feel for playing it normally. A buddy of mine uses an old Teisco that he's had sitting in a closet since he was about 14 and fixed up a couple of years ago. Ugly as sin, but it sounds sweet with a bottleneck and the right (read: overdriven el-cheapo) amp.

I sold off a synth and a tape echo a few weeks back to get the cash for my Blues Jr - I've told the story elsewhere on this forum. Anyway, somebody on one of these forums or MySpace or someplace made the comment "What else have you got gathering dust in your garage?". Just for yuks, I figured I'd try to get some idea what my Ibanez AD-80 Analog Delay was going for. I'd just pulled it out of my pedalboard 'cause I never use it. Lo and behold, I found one on eBay, in pretty much identical condition, selling for $400! Not sure I want to get rid of it yet, but it's nice to know I may have the price of my next guitar wrapped up in that little pink stomp box.
    There is none so blind as he that cannot see...

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your wife, Chris. If she's anything like my wife, she'll pull through it just fine, and be ready to raise hell in no time!
    You're gonna love the Blues Jr thru that 1x15 cab, it sounds good by itself, but thru a 1x15 cab...............NICE!
    [color=red]Just "Tele'in" it like it is.[/color]
    www.myspace.com/reubenadkins

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I hope Tracy's back at the mic soon!!!

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Thanks guys. I guess part of it is that the surgery itself went so well - they were able to do it laparoscopically instead of cutting her open - that expectations were pretty high for having her come home in just a couple of days.

Oh well, doo-doo transpires.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teleman77
    You're gonna love the Blues Jr thru that 1x15 cab, it sounds good by itself, but thru a 1x15 cab...............NICE!
    It's sooooo sweet, giving all that beautiful noise a bigger sandbox to play in...

A little beefier, a little less shrill & boxy. I'm lovin' it!

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Chris, I real glad you're loving your new tones, but even happier that your wife is recovering well! Very cool! 8)

If I were you, I'd go with one of the MIM Fenders over a Squire. I think they are worth their cost.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Dear Diary:

Saturday, come and gone. Been a long week. Tracy's doing a little better every day. Went in to visit, and we walked a couple of laps around the floor. The docs told her it would speed the recovery, get her system in gear, so to speak. Prognosis now is that she'll be home mid-to-late next week.

When I got home I finally worked up the courage to open up the BJr and do the reverb mod. Now I understand why every tech I've ever heard mention one of these amps says they're a ***** to work on. Getting that circuit board out was a royal pain. Once I had it out though, the actual mod itself wasn't particularly difficult.

Put it back together and the mod definitely lives up to its advance press. Switched on the power & walked away to start some coffee brewing while it warmed up, then had to come back in to make sure it was actually on! The ever-present hum from the 'verb circuit is completely gone. And the 'verb itself - like buttah!

Had to readjust my EQ settings, 'cause everything is all of a sudden so clear without that noise to mask it. In fact, with the amp itself being so quiet, I'm suddenly able to hear other random noise sources. Much to my chagrin, it seems my outboard 1x15 cab has a rattle in it somewhere that shows up when I play an A chord at the 12th fret. I switched to the internal speaker to make sure.

And my pedalboard is atrocious - 60-cycle hum when it's on AC power that's just flat-out ugly. I posted a more detailed cry for help in the Miscellaneous forum, but until I find a better solution I'm running the stomp boxes on batteries. I figured out that if I plug the adapter harness into the stomp boxes when they're not in use, it disables the battery, so I don't have to unplug everything every time.

I keep musing about going purist, just guitar & amp, but I don't know... I could probably lose the tremolo and the chorus, but the Cry Baby is an integral part of a few of my favorite bits in the set - notably "Superstition" and some of the blues stuff, and now that I've finally figured out how to make it sing, the Super Tube has become pretty near indispensable.

What's a po' boy to do?

Killer Seal Fender Lover
    Thanks

Glad to hear of your wife's steady recovery Teleblooz! My guess on the AC hum might be a dieing AC adaptor. Good luck with all!
    "I'm not ignorant, I just don't know stuff"

Fender Lover
    Thanks

DD:

Nothing new on the hospital front, just steady improvement. Tonight she finally got real food (well, real liquid food anyway). Looks good for coming home later this week.

Got a line on a noise gate on Craigslist (a Boss NF-1 for $45). It's on the other side of town, so I'll pick it up sometime before the weekend. Still no resolution on the noise issue (other than batteries), but a lot of good info from several sources. This here looks promising: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ply?sku=151091

Being the tightwad I am, I'll start off with a 1-spot & see if that helps any.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Default She's home!

Tracy came home from the hospital yesterday afternoon. Everything looks really good. She's gettin' around a little slow, but she is gettin' around. Feeling good (relatively speaking of course), no significant problems. I'm breathing again. <exhales>