FT Member
    Thanks

Default Changing tubes in original Cyber-Twin help needed, please!!!

Hey guys, wondering if anybody here could give detailed instructions for accessing tubes in an original Cyber-Twin. I know they can't be accessed easily. I figure I have to take out the screws on the top and sides, but do all the nobs and display from the front come off with it? Is it a pain to get back in? I've had the amp since 2001 and never changed the tubes. Looking at it all, it's pretty intimidating, but I would like to experiment with the sound. Any advice would help, Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fretman12 For This Useful Post:

kmancoop (10-11-2015)

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Just take your time and it will pull it out gently. It's a good snug fir, or mine is. What tubes are you going to use?
    Les Paul Traditional Pro
    PRS CE24
    Fender VG Strat
    Fender CyberTwin SE
    Marshall AVT150H

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grumpy1489 For This Useful Post:

Fretman12 (06-18-2012), kmancoop (10-11-2015), wessongroup (03-04-2017)

FT Member
    Thanks

Thanka for the reply, Grumpy. Im sticking with JJ 12ax7s for now cause I dont want to lose any gain. Depending on how it goes I may experiment later. Gonna take pics and post instructions incase someone else needs the help. Way too little info bout this on the interwebs. Should get the tubes in the mail today. Wish me luck.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fretman12 For This Useful Post:

kmancoop (10-11-2015)

FT Member
    Thanks

Alright got the tubes and put them in, pretty simple. First unplug the speakers. Mine were clamped on real tight so I had to wiggle them as I pulled. Next take the screws off from the top and sides of the amp. I left the two middle top ones on for last. At this point its good to have a friend to help pull the unit out straight as to avoid damage to the pieces of foil on the sides. Have your friend hold the unit in place and remove the last two screws. Now slowly pull the chassis from the box making sure to keep it straight, it's a tight fit.
    Amp top.jpegAmp side.jpegAmp Back.jpeg
    Last edited by Fretman12; 06-18-2012 at 07:26 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fretman12 For This Useful Post:

wessongroup (03-04-2017)

FT Member
    Thanks

Now that the chassis is removed locate the tubes on the left side. Remove the covers with the foam buffer. They may be on tight but just like the speakers a little careful wiggling and pulling should do the trick. Okay, now it's just a matter of pulling out the old tubes and replacing them with the new ones. Once that's done slide the covers back. It might be a good idea to buy a can of compressed air to dust out the insides of the amp while you have it apart. Also I read a horror story of a piece of that side foil ripping off and landing on the circuit board, make sure if that happens you get it off before you put the amp back together as it can cause undesirable effects. Now just put the amp back together the same way you took it apart. Easy Peezy.
    Tube Loc.jpegAmp apart.jpegamp front.jpeg

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fretman12 For This Useful Post:

kmancoop (10-11-2015), wessongroup (03-04-2017)

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Good job! Be sure to read the previous entries on using different tubes, a lot of good info!!
    Les Paul Traditional Pro
    PRS CE24
    Fender VG Strat
    Fender CyberTwin SE
    Marshall AVT150H

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grumpy1489 For This Useful Post:

kmancoop (10-11-2015), wessongroup (03-04-2017)

Thanks

Old thread I know...thanks for posting...I'm going to give this a shot soon, and was looking for excellent instructions and illustrations. ..appreciate it...

Thanks

Default Tube replacement on Cyber Twin CT

If you are doing it by yourself, I turned the cabinet upside down and then removed the last 4 screws on the sides, after removing all the top screws .... Then just slid the amp out with no problems to the tin foil

Have the amp on top of the cabinet with extensions to the speakers .... wanted to hear how the new tubes sounded before I put it back to gather ....

Trying a match pair of RCA 12AU7A PLATINUM to replace the original Fender tubes ... which are the same ones that were in it when I bought it new in 2002 ... figured it might be time to change them out ....

Must say the 12AU7A give a much different sound
    Last edited by wessongroup; 04-07-2017 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fretman12 View Post
    Thanka for the reply, Grumpy. Im sticking with JJ 12ax7s for now cause I dont want to lose any gain. Depending on how it goes I may experiment later. Gonna take pics and post instructions incase someone else needs the help. Way too little info bout this on the interwebs. Should get the tubes in the mail today. Wish me luck.
    Try a Sovtek 12AX7LPS for the PI tube. It's one of the best in that position, especially in Fenders.

There are two trains of thoughts on V1. Some say make it a high gainer but some say let the next stage amplify the primary's stage input. You can also try messing with the cathode resistors in V1A. Bypass it with a cap (ex. 1500 ohms + .68uF, ala Marshall style). You can even cascade the stages. Search around, it's fairly easy to do since preamp tubes bias themselves. HTH