Fenderfied
    Thanks

Default DRRI bright cap mod

So, after owning my DRRI for a few months I decided I prefer the warmth of the normal channel for home playing but like the added bightness of the Vibrato channel better when cranking the amp live.
    However, I miss not having reverb on the normal channel, so decided to do the bright cap mod by putting in a mini toggle switch in the circuit on the vobrato channel to have the option of turning the bright cap on or off.

Control board removed and mini toggle switch installed on the back of the chassis (far right):

The bright cap on the back side of the (green topsided) control board (C10):

C10 wired in series with the mini toggle switch:

Green control board reassembled (front) and blue toggle switch (rear):
    Last edited by Captain Bb; 10-01-2011 at 04:21 PM.
    I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Final assembly complete:

Amp ready to go back into the cabinet:

And after all that work the verdict: bugger all difference at all! Well, hardly any at least...a minimal difference between having the cap active or switched out (just audible) and no where near as warm as the normal channel, so there's more between the two channels than just the bright cap I reckon.

Oh well, ho-hum...
    Last edited by Captain Bb; 10-01-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

And the amp is no longer "original" and therefore worthless....nyuk, nyuk...

Just bustin' your chops, Cap'n. We love to tinker, don't we?
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Indeed we do Mike and I guess I fell for that one in a way, as it's a mod I've read about so many DRRI owners doing and "loving the results" n' stuff. Those guys must have better hearing than me or they're kidding themselves about the perceived difference it makes.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Those guys could probably describe the Emperors' new clothes in detail, also...

This "Yeah, it's GREAT" syndrome may be "buyers remorse" in reverse. "Geez... I went to all this work and I can't tell the difference but I'll feel stupid if I don't go with the crowd, so I'm gonna jump on the "It's awesome" bandwagon."

Cap'n, maybe your honesty will save someone the trouble.... Thanks!... Great pics, though! Watcha gonna do now?
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Fenderfied
    Thanks

After experimenting for a while I now realise the cap mod has more effect at low volumes but it's still subtle at best to my ears. At half volume there's no difference whatsoever and that's where the amp lives most of the time, so the mod was a complete waste of time for my purposes. Still, it's an unobtrusive little switch tucked round the back and the amp was far from standard before the mod anyway (it's had a cap job and the trem circuit swapped out). It's a great sounding amp nevertheless and I'm extremely happy with it, so it's getting no more mods from me.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

At least the mod did nothing detrimental. Glad yer happy with it; that's the main thing...
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I have lot's of trouble in this arena. People will say this or that sounds so much different or better and I can't tell. It makes me feel stupid or like I'm missing something in the hearing department. Some times I just go with the flow and agree so as not to look like I'm dumb. You might have three guys comparing pickups or amps all standing around agreeing on something about the sound and I'm sitting there saying to my self WTF I cant tell the difference and just shake my head yes in agreement. Everyone high fives as we have just found the sound. I have a small but well equipped home studio and when it comes to microphones, pre-amps, monitors and EQ's people can here stuff or say they hear stuff that I just don't or can't. Why spend 3 grand on a Peluso tube Mic when I can't tell any difference between that and my $400.00 Studio Projects T3. Or the difference between recording on tape or Digital. I can tell the differences in sound up to a point but once I get to that point forget, it your splitting hairs and it just becomes frustrating that I can't hear the things others say they can. Now I chase the sound to the point that it makes me happy and I no longer care if that sound comes from my Boogie Nomad tube amp or my $90.00 POD It's easy for me to follow the crowd and agree just to sound like I get it. As long as you love the amp Captain that's all that counts.
    Ron