Fender Lover
    Thanks

Default Beefing up my audio recording capabilities

I sold my Foxtex MR8-HD which allowed me 4 track audio recording and I miss it. I'd like to be able to do similar stuff on any of my computers. Apparently Firewire stuff beats USB stuff in speed of transmission... so I'm looking at a couple of options. Echo makes an Audiofire 4 unit and M-Audio makes a Profire 610. The M-Audio unit has more outputs than the Echo but the both incorporate 4 audio inputs 2 of which have mic preamps and they both have a single MIDI port which would make using my MIDIfied Strat easier. All 5 of the currently in-use computers including both my laptops have Firewire so it seems to be the way to go. I specifically use an aging version (5) of Sonar for recording. Anyone have any experience with either of these units?

FenderTalker
    Thanks

I just picked up a Fostex unit that was never used by the original owner. Can't wait to get it.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

So. Here's my solution for being able to work on my music without having to barricade myself in a small bedroom/studio for hours at a time and having it "baby proof". I went with the M-Audio Profire 610 which has 1 MIDI port, 4 analog audio ins (2 with mic pres) and 8 analog audio outs along with a stereo SP/DIF input/output. I run my MIDIified Strat's MIDI out from the Roland GI-10 to the 610 MIDI in and the 610 MIDI out to a Roland JV-1010 I found on eBay for $120 which matches the JV-1080 in my larger studio. Two outs from the JV-1010 go to analog ins on the Profire 610. The Strat audio out goes to a Boss GT-6 which can slide under a printer stand... and the GT-6 SP/DIF out goes to the Profire 610. I also bought a little M-Audio Axiom 25 key controller that goes to a USB port and provides a couple of octaves of keyboard, 8 drum pad triggers, 8 pots that can be assigned to any function on the synth or Sonar's mixing console and the usual compliment of pitch/mod wheels. The Profire 610 connects to the computer via a single Firewire cable. I have a 5' tall glass doored entertainment stand next to the computer. All three half rack spaced modules can go on a single shelf at the very top and the bottom section will hold a single Strat. Since the JV-1010 has the same sound set as the JV-1080 in the larger studio, I can transport work back and forth relatively easily. Things can be roughed out and worked up out here in the living room, then I can take it all into the larger environment to add some other synths and finish mixing/mastering in there. Some judicious use of VST instruments may make the larger studio environment unnecessary. I don't spend 8 hours a day isolated from the girlfriend... and everybody's sort of happy. I think it's a neat solution for a very small and yet sufficiently powerful recording environment. It could also be pretty portable. In the end, I may yank an Alesis DM5 drum module out of the larger studio and maybe one of the SGX-2000 guitar preamps but we'll see how it goes with just the stuff I ordered in the past couple of days first.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Axiom25New.html

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFire610.html

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...?ProductId=269

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...?ProductId=563

This will pretty much take the place of a full 3 tier keyboard stand and a 7' tall rack full of synths, mixers and effects devices in my studio.
    Last edited by Midiman57; 09-11-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

That's a great solution, Steve. It should be very effective.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

For those interested. i have purchased a variety of direct connect keyboards over the past couple of weeks including both 2 and 5 octave M-Audio Axioms... which I like very much but connect via USB... and a 3 octave M-Audio Ozonic which has audio I/O and connects via Firewire. Both the Axioms exhibit serious latency when connected via USB and triggering soft synths. The Ozonic doesn't when connected via Firewire. The solution for the Axioms is to connect them via MIDI thru the M-Audio Profire 610... so it's all good. My end discovery is to stay the hell away from USB connected keyboards.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Lay some recordings on us, man!!

This was done in a bedroom on a laptop with a Lexicon Alpha audio interface:

Sunny
    Just play til your fingers bleed, then stop when it hits bone...

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/alanlowe