FT Member
    Thanks

Default Finding the right bass sound

I have a friend who used to use a fender musicmaster bass, I believe it was a musicmaster it looked exactly like one.. But I loved the sound of it and I have been looking for one like crazy at a price I can afford. That's when I discovered the squire bronco, (which I can only hope has even a remotely similar sound) but I know next to nothing about basses, or short versus full scale basses.. The bass I am using now isn't even close to the sound I want (it's a low line P knockoff) but the squire bronco is very appealing to me because I have very small hands and it looks just like a musicmaster. Does anyone know anything more about this situation? I need something close to that sound at as low a price I can find..

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Hey, Funk... I'm not a bassist, but it IS an electric guitar so a lot of the tone will come from the amp. What kind of amp did your friend have? There are also a lot of pickups which you could look at which would change your tone if the bronco isn't exactly what you want.... (and it probably won't be; "Tone" is what we all chase; endlessly.

Have fun with it!

PS... I've always thought it would be fun to run the bass through two amps; one clean and one with multiple effects available.... but haven't been able to convince any of my bass players to do it....
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I think you may be on the right track, funk. The thing to look at is if the Bronco has the same or similar pickups as the Musicmaster (I'm at work right now or I'd look it up). Seeing that they both come from the Fender stable it's not too much of a stretch to expect similar tone from similar pickups.
    There is none so blind as he that cannot see...

FT Member
    Thanks

Hahaha, a buddy of mine here in town got a 1978 Musicmaster Bass for like 300 bucks. Texas is the home of cheap guitars haha...but really those things aren't that expensive.
    -Alex

Agave Blue Tele, White Jimmie Vaughan Strat, Trans Red American Standard Strat, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I would go with the amp suggestion as well. It can make a lot of difference - but so can an equalizer and a compressor. My Hartke HA5000 has both built-in and an 8x10 cab....
    Just play til your fingers bleed, then stop when it hits bone...

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/alanlowe