Thanks

Default Presonus audiobox USB mic preamp question

Hello, I have a question that I am hoping someone might have experience with, I have a presonus audiobox, running with a PC with windows 7. During recording or playback it will intermittently have a harsh "crackle"(like full on digital clipping). It comes and goes, and when I bounce the tracks down to a .MP3 and play back via the onboard sound card the noise is not there, so it must be an output->to the presonus issue. I have D/L the most recent drivers, and have poked around looking for a setting or ? to adjust, but I am lost. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

You might try lowering the buffer size.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Any crackle or dropout issues during playback will most likely be the result of buffer size as Midiman said but could also be due to low system memory. Although most DAWs will run on 2GB or sometimes less, they perform far better on 4GB or more. If you have a lot of RAM, then make your buffers bigger. Small buffers are used for small memory. Also check that you have no other applications running in the background. If you can run it offline while recording, disable antivirus and firewalls.

After some hesitation I decided to also suggest a faster computer but if yours is running Windows 7 satisfactorily, I don't really think this is an issue.

I am also presuming that you are running USB 2.0 or higher. USB 1.0 is absolutely useless on most audio interfaces where crackles and pops are standard.

My main DAW is based on an i7 with the best of everything I could afford. But I have also done successful recording and mixing on an i3 lappy running at 2.5GHz and 4GB RAM

One more possibility: Are you running a single disk drive? That includes one drive that has been partitioned into 2 or more logical drives. Audio work is highly disk-intensive and if your audio projects are on the same physical drive as the DAW then you are asking for trouble. Even an external drive relieves the main drive of the pressure of audio work but a second internal drive for your audio projects is highly recommended.

I wouldn't blame the Presonus Audiobox for anything
    Last edited by ElijahBaley; 05-16-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    Just play til your fingers bleed, then stop when it hits bone...

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/alanlowe

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I don't think kmason heard you, EB.... two posts two years ago.... his gear has probably been upgraded/updated by now... ;)
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Ah but you read it :D

Sometimes other people have questions like this and its nice to find answers to the questions. I know it was an old one but I have heard the same problem only recently. Just adding to the database :D
    Just play til your fingers bleed, then stop when it hits bone...

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/alanlowe

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I read it too! (didn't even NOTICE the date on the original post!)

~MW
    "But hey, I like these cheap riffs, they make me happy and alive each day here, when all seems lost and grey good riff pump blood stronger, sweat visit your face and - you feel then all right!"~ Elvir 2015