Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FenderTalker
    Thanks

Default Svenns' waiting for replacement Tele neck bLog

I've started my 1st experience dealing with Fender and their warranty process about a month ago. I was going to start a log then, just to document my experience and see if anyone else had similar situations with dealing with Fender, but I didn't think it was going to take very long. I was kind of wrong, so I'm starting my bLog now and fill in the blanks of the last month and the on going process. So...

The deal starts about 4 1/2 weeks ago with me changing strings on my 2007 Am. Std. 3 tone sunburst maple neck Tele. I noticed these fine little black lines on the fret board. They looked like black dog hairs, starting on the 10th fret and sort of staggering their way up to the 2nd fret. Not being sure if they were cracks or what, I took the tele to my local Fender dealer. The Fender guy said it's not totally rare, in our super dry climate up here, for the fret board to develope these tiny little cracks. He took photos of the guitar, front and back, the serial # and the fret board to send to Fender. He thought that this would fall under the warranty and I'd probably get a replacement neck no problem. Took my phone# and said "I'll call you when I hear back from Fender"..............

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Doesn't changing the strings void the warranty?
    "But I don't want to go among mad people" Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat, "We're all mad here 'n stuff."

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerine49 View Post
    Doesn't changing the strings void the warranty?
    Ahh, D49...you've been down this road before. Maybe I could say, I wasn't really changing the strings, just changing them around on the guitar. You know, mix em up a little to make things a bit more exciting!

FenderTalker
    Thanks

So my Fender guy says, "Ok, I have your phone # and do you have your receipt because Fender is pretty picky about that." "Oh yea, got it right here in the case". Now I kind of figured this part wasn't going to be pleasent, because I committed the ultimate sin. I didn't get the tele at his store, I bought it from, (I'm so ashamed to say) Musicians Friend. (I know, I know) And when I told him, he kind of went balistic on me. "Ok, I'll do this for you but we're here for you, and we want you buying your stuff here and yadda yadda yadda" in my face. Now I'm not a kid, I'll be 52 next month and I CAN'T STAND LISTENING TO BULL ****... FROM ANYBODY. I feel that I can spend my money anywhere I want. Besides, I bought it with the MF credit card and had 12 months/no interest and paid it off $100./mo. I understand that he is doing the leg work and I appreciate that. So I put my tail between my legs and heard him out and thanked him profusely for being the Fender dealer that has to take care of this. When he was finished chastising me, he stuck his hand out and welcomed me to town or his store or whatever. " I'll call you as soon as I hear from Fender".......

Fender Lover
    Thanks

With customer service like THAT ... you've got every reason to continue shopping at MF. What a tool.

~MW
    "But hey, I like these cheap riffs, they make me happy and alive each day here, when all seems lost and grey good riff pump blood stronger, sweat visit your face and - you feel then all right!"~ Elvir 2015

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Yep, that seems to be the consensus on this guy. My 2 old guitar friends here in town, the Cushman brothers, told me they can't stand dealing with him. These 2 guys are pretty interesting. Steve is THE BEST guitar player I've ever heard and that includes EC, SRV. Matt builds archtop guitars, basses and currently mandolins in their basement. He has a few reveiws for his accoustic archtops on Harmony Central.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

I figured it would take a week or so to hear back from the Fender guy, but I did get another phone call in those 1st few days of waiting. The call wasn't about guitars. I was informed that one of my best friends from high school and college had died. They said the family wasn't releasing the cause of death which probably didn't mean he died of old age at 52. Joe was a super bright guy, graduated from UM and then got a law degree from Notre Dame. His dad was some kind of federal judge and I think that was the direction Joe was heading. Joe had a little set back, oh, about 5-6 yrs. ago though. Joe was moving up the ladder and was 1 of the city judges in our home town. One day Joe left his car with the mechanic. Unfortunately he also left a marijuana pipe in his car. I didn't live in our home town, but they say it wasn't a good thing...all over the papers and all. Joe was no longer a city judge and I think he wound up defending low lifes and such. I left college in 1979 heading for the mountains to teach skiing, so I had only seen Joe once or twice up skiing in all those years since. But I still felt kind of bad. I can only imagine the pain, from whatever, must be pretty bad to want to hang yourself in your garage. I picked up a guitar and sang a couple of songs for Joe. Neil Youngs' ONE OF THESE DAYS (I'm gonna sit down and write a long letter to all the good friends I've known) and TOUCH THE NIGHT. Like Neil says...
    "And those who loved and lost
    will know the way it feels
    to touch the night without the one you love
    And everyone will Touch The Night"

Well, at least I didn't have to sing "Hey Joe, what you doin' with that gun in your hand?"
    See ya later Joe...still waiting to hear from the Fender guy......

FenderTalker
    Thanks

So, after waiting 2 weeks, my Fender guy calls. He's really nice and tells me that the reply from Fender wasn't delivered to his inbox, but went into his spam mail box and he didn't see it until now. Fender says they'll replace the neck. They can't find an 07' neck so they'll send me a new 09' neck. It will be here on Thursday. Great, can't wait. ( oh,but I will) Meanwhile, my inlaws from Georgia are coming up for vacation...not great.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Well, my mother in law started planning this vacation, they were going to take, last Feb. My inlaws and my wife and daughter were going to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. I told my wife Grand Teton was named by the French trappers and it meant, basically, giant ****. Of course she didn't believe me, but the web told her I was right. Her folks are not really nature lovers and I question there plans. They were going the week after the 4th of July. They wondered why I wasn't going to go along. I already knew what telesavales experienced this summer down there....too damn many people for me. Away they went, and my son and I stayed up north. We just did guy things like go camping and sit around in our underware and fart alot. We had a good time waiting for the Fender guy to call.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Default MF on both ends...

This is turning into a real shaggy dog story.... Q: Wouldn't MF have handled the warranty on this? Or would it have taken a "long time"? Of course, then you would never have had the pleasure of meeting this "mf" Fender guy.....

Sorry about your old friend.... "the load gets heavier as we go on"....
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....