Fender Lover
    Thanks

Default Bass Inspiration died...

Jus thought I would post this.
    Wayman Tisdale, longtime NBA player died at the age of 44 a couple of weeks ago. Apparently he broke his leg and they found that he had bone cancer.

http://www.inglewoodtoday.com/news/n...th-cancer.html

Wayman was the best basketball player to ever come out of Oklahoma. I know, I was lucky enough not to have had to play against him as he graduated a few years before I started playing high school ball. I did play though against Kevin Pritchard who with Danny Manning defeated the Sooners for the National title in 88. After being torched by Pritchard for like 40 points before there was a three point line, I was a little down when one of our alumni pulls me aside and says, "at least you did not have to play against Wayman, he would have scored 60 on you all the time smiling".

Anyway back to the bass guitar. Wayman's father was a preacher in Tulsa and Wayman grew up playing the guitar, bass and singing in the choir. It must have been the mid 90's and I was watching some basketball show on TV and they said they were doing a piece on Wayman so I waited around to watch it. Well it is not about basketball, but about Wayman and the Fifth Quarter band which he ran after games in Phoenix, where he was the bass player. Inspired as I was just picking up the bass, I went to the local Hastings and low and behold they had a Wayman Tisdale CD, "Power Forward" so I bought it and went home to start my bass playing career. I still have that CD, it is soulful , jazzy and funky and a great starter to get me motivated to play. Sadly I never went back to check on any other of Wayman's CD's and now he is gone.
    At 44 years young...

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Seems like he was for real. Too bad, I never appreciated his musical skill. I figured he was another Shaq. He was a little less then a month older than I am.
    Michael

Fender Lover
    Thanks

three years older than me, and in a whole lot better shape that is for sure.

I saw Wayman in 85 at the Big VIII tourney, he was standing under the basket talking to some reporters, his hand in the net. My buddy said go stand next to him and see how big he is. I was 6'3" and 220#, Wayman was 6'9 and 250# and he made me look small. He was not you typical string bean tall guy, he was thick and strong.

I have to get out his album and do some listening...he died much too young.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Living here in OK, I've followed Tisdale from his college ball days, NBA career, and through numerous stories they've done about him on the local news shows.
    He's always been a cheerful and standup guy no matter what.

Apparently he knew he was in trouble even after the leg amputation and yet he maintained a smiling, positive demeanor through it all.
    One of the local TV stations did a story about his funeral service and the pallbearers were actually dancing with the casket as they carried it.

Tisdale had left a statement that he wanted his service to be a happy one, have people remember his life, and that he "didn't want no sadness at the service".
    Amazing, amazing man.

They held a concert in his memory at the OK Jazz and Blues Hall of Fame that night and even Toby Keith was there to do a number.