Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FenderTalker
    Thanks

Default 1995 MIJ Fender Jag-Stang?

A friend of mine is going to have to part with his 1995 Fiesta Red Jag-Stang.
    He will not take a penny less than $600 including a hardshell case.
    No case candy or anything other than the case and a strap which may or may have not come with it.
    I know it's all original, I knew him when he got it, back when we were in high school.
    It's in good, but well played condition.

A couple questions:

1) This was the first year this guitar was available, imported from Fender Japan to USA. Would this make this guitar more collectable?

2) Do any of the experts in here feel this guitar has potential for a dramatic increase in value over the next five or ten years?

3) Have any of you ever bought a guitar from a friend in a time of need? I have mixed feeling about taking this guy off his hands.

What do you guys think?

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crumpler View Post

3) Have any of you ever bought a guitar from a friend in a time of need? I have mixed feeling about taking this guy off his hands.

What do you guys think?
    If he's happy with the price, and you're happy, all's well. I'm sure he'd rather see it go to a friend.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Here's a JagStang of sorts on eBay at $299.00 with 1 hour left.

1960's Something with Jagstang neck.

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lester View Post
    If he's happy with the price, and you're happy, all's well. I'm sure he'd rather see it go to a friend.
    Yeah, it still feels a bit weird to me.
    I'm kinda hoping it sells on it's own, but will take it off his hands if it comes down to it.

I'm passing on the eBay hybrid.
    I've played Eric's guitar before.
    The eBay special is now up to nearly $400 including shipping.

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

That's not a great price for it, and I don't see the imports rising in value very quickly at all, regardless of their build quality. The Japanese Fenders are very well made, but there are a lot of gear snobs out there that will pay ever-increasing prices for MIA, and pass on the MIJ models.

I have bought guitars from friends many times, and sold a bunch to friends without problems. But every time we've made it clear during the transaction that either there were no strings attached, or that the seller would have first shot at the guitar (at the original price) if the new seller every wanted to part with it. Anything less than clarity there, and possible problems could arise later.

Personally, I wouldn't pay the much for it.
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

SA, I think you may be just a little off with your evaluation of the ability of MIJ guitars to increase in price.

There are indeed several notable examples of MIJ special or limited edition guitars which are rapidly inscreasing in price, not the least of which are the MIJ Rosewood Teles. They are still pushing the limits in prices on eBay, the least you can pay now is US$2000, they were only US$1500 6-12 months ago.

As usual with collectables, the key is that the item must be totally original and in as close to mint condition as possible.

I think the MIJ Jagstangs ARE a candidate for a slow increase in value. The Kurt Cobain heritage, along with the relative rarity with ensure that.

$600 would be a typical market price for a very clean early Jagstang IMHO. Not cheap, but also not over the top.
    There ain't nothing you can't play on a Telecaster

http://www.facebook.com/ajaytele
    Drop by and say G'day!

FenderTalker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SAguitar View Post
    That's not a great price for it, and I don't see the imports rising in value very quickly at all, regardless of their build quality. The Japanese Fenders are very well made, but there are a lot of gear snobs out there that will pay ever-increasing prices for MIA, and pass on the MIJ models.

I have bought guitars from friends many times, and sold a bunch to friends without problems. But every time we've made it clear during the transaction that either there were no strings attached, or that the seller would have first shot at the guitar (at the original price) if the new seller every wanted to part with it. Anything less than clarity there, and possible problems could arise later.

Personally, I wouldn't pay the much for it.
    I know I can spend less money to get one, there is no doubt, but there could be doubt for what I'm spending the money on... I've known this guy for over 15 years. I knew him when he bought the dang thing. I've played on stage with the guy. I know how he's taken care of it, so I feel comfortable paying a little more, for an instument with a clean history.

There is no more collectable MIA alternative in this case, you can have MIJ or MIM.
    This one stands tall when compared to the MIM.

My bro and I used to trade a couple guitars back and forth, and always kept the rule that we sell it to one another (at the previous rate of sale) before a stranger. That worked out well. I still own a US made tele copy that we traded back and forth for the same $80 for a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by AjayTele View Post
    SA, I think you may be just a little off with your evaluation of the ability of MIJ guitars to increase in price.

There are indeed several notable examples of MIJ special or limited edition guitars which are rapidly inscreasing in price, not the least of which are the MIJ Rosewood Teles. They are still pushing the limits in prices on eBay, the least you can pay now is US$2000, they were only US$1500 6-12 months ago.

As usual with collectables, the key is that the item must be totally original and in as close to mint condition as possible.

I think the MIJ Jagstangs ARE a candidate for a slow increase in value. The Kurt Cobain heritage, along with the relative rarity with ensure that.

$600 would be a typical market price for a very clean early Jagstang IMHO. Not cheap, but also not over the top.
    It is missing case candy, wiggle stick, and documents, but the hardware, pickups, neck, everything is original.

Ten years from now, if it were $1000, I wouldn't be suprised.
    Am I estimating this similar to your assesment, Ajay?

Fender Lover
    Thanks

That's entirely possible I think. Indeed with inflation, it should be more than that.
    There ain't nothing you can't play on a Telecaster

http://www.facebook.com/ajaytele
    Drop by and say G'day!

FenderTalker
    Thanks

That's fine with me.

Now, time to thin the herd or 'sneak this one in the back door'.
    My fiance has a hard time undertanding why five electic guitars and a bass isn't enough.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

what does "enough" have to do with anything?!?!!