Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

www.cockos.com/reaper Easiest multitrack software I have seen, full function, non expiring try or buy download. Quite a few plug-ins included. Import .wav and .mid files.You can set it up to use external editors(like audacity for .wav, and a .mid editor). I've used it with an external pre-amp-> line in, a peavy vypyr usb record out, and a presonus audiobox, all of which work good. Although I have had some strange issues with the presonus since I bought a new computer running windows 7. There can be some latency annoyance, (with the exception of the audiobox), but you can monitor the input with most configurations, so you don't get the delay (could not figure a way around it with the vypyr). I also have not figured out if you can use multiple input sources, as I would like to use the presonus to mic both my "real" amps, and DI a clean signal from the vypyr, but either the software can't do it, or it is beyond me to figure it out.

Banned
    Thanks

I think I use a pre-Sony 4.5 version. It's a nice recording/processing/editing program that works with stereo tracks. No multitrack capability... but a ton of processing power. I like Cakewalk a lot.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Bought a LIne 6 TonePort (now Pod Studio) UX-1, got a free upgrade to Pod Farm, and downloaded Audacity recording software a while ago and find it really good.
    Whether you think you can...or you can't...you're right!

Some mistakes are just too much fun to only make once!!!

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Old thread but I just bought an M-Audio Profire 610... which provides me with 4 in/8 out analog audio plus stereo SP/DIF I/O and 1 MIDI port I/O. Two of the 4 analog ins are XLR/1/4" hybrid jacks with mic preamps. It connects to the computer using a firewire port. If you have a full aized (six wire) 1394 jack on your computer it will provide power, it you're using a mini (4 wire) 1394 jack like on most laptops, you'll need to power it with an external (supplied) power supply. The preamps are very nice and having 4x8 audio I/O is really nice for my situation. The unit lists for $500 but you can find them for $300 all day long on eBay and, if you find an actual auction, can do much better.

At half the price, they make a smaller unit called the Firewire Solo.

It features a single XLR mic input with preamp, a single intrument level input and a pair of unbalanced line inputs along with a stereo SP/DIF in. A pair of balanced line outs, SP/DIF stereo out and a headphone out complete the lineup. it seems like a very nice mix of options for a smaller system. So far, I'm extremely inpressed with the 610. My experience with USB audio solutions has been rather disappointing.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWireSolo.html

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFire610.html

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal123 View Post
    I think I use a pre-Sony 4.5 version. It's a nice recording/processing/editing program that works with stereo tracks. No multitrack capability... but a ton of processing power. I like Cakewalk a lot.
    Yep. SoundForge 4.5, which dovetails into Cakewalk or Sonar's menu system. Cakewalk or newer Sonar multitrack recording software has some nice audio editing on its own but I still like to be able to bring the track straight into SoundForge for most of my processing.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Teleblooz, I have been using Cakewalk forever and I have absolutely no compulsion to change to anything else. It does everything I need and then some. What was the problem?
    Just play til your fingers bleed, then stop when it hits bone...

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/alanlowe

Fender Lover
    Thanks

While complimenting Midiman57 on his new gear, I just purchased a Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP which is more or less the same thing. I had endless trouble with my M-Audio Audiophile 192 sound card and had to look for something better. The Saffire PRO 24 DSP is an absolute dream. 16 in / 8 out FireWire audio interface, featuring real-time DSP-powered tracking and mixing solutions tailor-made for the modern home studio environment.

You can plug in guitars direct or mic your amp and plug the microphone in direct to get the characteristic sound of your amp as well. Basically, everything Midiman said, just an alternative brand.

http://www.focusrite.com/products/au...ire_pro_24_dsp
    Last edited by ElijahBaley; 12-25-2010 at 10:45 AM.
    Just play til your fingers bleed, then stop when it hits bone...

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/alanlowe

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ElijahBaley View Post
    Teleblooz, I have been using Cakewalk forever and I have absolutely no compulsion to change to anything else. It does everything I need and then some. What was the problem?
    Most of the problem was lack of usable directions.
    There is none so blind as he that cannot see...

Fender Lover
    Thanks

The easiest way is with a Flip Camera. I have made some okay sounding Youtubes.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Elijah, right about the time youwere posting on the Saffire Pro 24, I was ordering a Saffire Pro 14. I've heard good things about their preamps. Should I bother with any of their bundled software, or should I just start with my Macbook's Garage Band program? I'm pretty much a novice, and will be happy just playing over backing tracks for my first projects.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.