Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Default What is the easiest way to get good quality recordings of my gear?

I have a Boss BR1180CD and it's just too complicated for me. I want to be able to demo my guitars and amps into sound clips for posting. I've seen some Macs that have something called Garage Band. If it's a computer program, it would have to be simple and intuitive. Cake Walk probably wouldn't be a cake walk for me. I have a couple of decent mics and a mic preamp. Open to suggestions. The simpler the better, just so long as the audio is good.
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Plug a mic into your computer and use the Windows Sound Recorder. If you want something a step up... try Sound Forge although I'm not crazy about aspects of it since Sony bought it. I think I use a pre-Sony 4.5 version. It's a nice recording/processing/editing program that works with stereo tracks. No multitrack capability... but a ton of processing power. I like Cakewalk a lot... Sonar these days, and it can be a headache when you get into multitrack stuff... but for recording stereo or mono audio clips... shouldn't be that much of a hassle.

Fender Deluxe
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Midiman57 View Post
    Plug a mic into your computer and use the Windows Sound Recorder. If you want something a step up... try Sound Forge although I'm not crazy about aspects of it since Sony bought it. I think I use a pre-Sony 4.5 version. It's a nice recording/processing/editing program that works with stereo tracks. No multitrack capability... but a ton of processing power. I like Cakewalk a lot... Sonar these days, and it can be a headache when you get into multitrack stuff... but for recording stereo or mono audio clips... shouldn't be that much of a hassle.
    With windows Sound Recorder can you import rhythm tracks and record guitar over them? And is there an XLR adapter that allows one to plug a mic like an SM57 directly into the computer?
    The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

For quick, decent recordings I use a software product called MixPad ($45). I get a good mic and plug it into the external mic jack of my laptop and fire up MixPad. No special sound cards, it sounds decent with a decent mic. MixPad lets you record multiple tracks, edit tracks, etc. It's a decent piece of software, there are others for free, but this one is nice.

For more serious recordings, I have an 8 track digital recorder that I record on and then download tracks to my laptop and mix/edit using MixPad from there to create .mp3s.
    "The disgusting stink of a too loud electric guitar - now that's my idea of a good time." Frank Zappa

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I had a version of Cakewalk a year or two ago, and I found it effectively unusable. Even with online help, I couldn't get any results out of it, so I ended up getting rid of it.
    There is none so blind as he that cannot see...

Fenderfied
    Thanks

I have used a few dirt cheap ways to record in the past. like, i downloaded total recorder off of P2P file sharing and I could do a lot of recordings that way. It's simple and generic and easy to figure out. i have also used the windows sound recorder and i have used a creative sound program that came with a creative blaster sound card. all this stuff is easy, but I don't know about the quality.

now i have had cakewalk and others like it and I have never been able to figure it out. I don't know if it is because i haven't taken the time to learn, or it's just way beyond what I know.

But mike, you can get these programs from p2p sites and try for yourself.

Also, if you get a machine that can do the recording(even an tape track one) you could hook it up to the computer and use total recorder to copy it and it should sound good. So, get a old tape track recorder or digital one you want and when you are happy doing it on the machine, then you can upload it to the computer using either a program sent with the machine or you can get something like total recorder.

I do things as easy as possible, i have bundles of adapters and wires that i can always figure out some cheap way to rig and make it sound decent.
    "Ain't nobody leavin' this place without singin' the blues" - Albert Collins

Fender Lover
    Thanks

A DAT or one of the little 4 track digital recorders, I think, works best. Like jamesron was sayin', mix everything to the recorder then upload to your computer. Takes a lot of the latency issues out of the equation.
    Whether you think you can...or you can't...you're right!

Some mistakes are just too much fun to only make once!!!

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Try this:

http://www.anvilstudio.com/

Neither Windows Sound Recorder nor Sound Forge will do multitrack work. I thought you had said "simple".

As for the mic, I just built an XLR to 1/8" cable. The mic input on almost all computers is lowZ and usually supplies phantom power on the center conductor if you want to use condenser mics. If you want to run stereo, you'll need a small mixer (or a really big one... doesn't matter) run into the the computer's line inputs.
    Last edited by Midiman57; 03-29-2009 at 10:55 AM.

FT Member
    Thanks

Default Fostex

I have a Fostex MR16. Yes, it's a 16 track with hard drive, CD burner and USB, but it's pretty simple and didn't cost too much. I like it because of that simplicity, unlike most of the Boss units. No modeling (well almost none, a few simple amp models for straight-in guitar), no accompaniment other than a click track. Very few effects (reverb and delay). It will record four tracks at once (the cheapest Boss with this feature cost >$1000). You can add effects loops (or not) and it has a selection of simple to use mic EQ pre-sets. You can copy or download the wave files to your PC and re-mix to your heart's contend or mix down to stereo on board and burn to a CD. It's simple, easy and effective; I like it.

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I'm a fan of the Fostex MR series. I had an 8-HD which I will probably replace with the 16 track model shortly.