Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FT Member
    Thanks

Tele,
    Sorry...lol..typo it is supposed to be Boss..:)
    ADK

Banned
    Thanks

Sorry to piggyback here, but if one wants to start recording with 1 guitar then add other layers and vocals , not for professional use or cd'd but to start putting songs together that can be somewhat edited later what is the easiest way to go?

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gregsguitars View Post
    Sorry to piggyback here, but if one wants to start recording with 1 guitar then add other layers and vocals , not for professional use or cd'd but to start putting songs together that can be somewhat edited later what is the easiest way to go?
    Hard to say. "Add other layers" could mean a lot of different things. If you want vocals, you need a mic and a mic preamp somewhere. If you want electric guitar, you need something with an instrument level input or something that will convert your guitar signal level to a line level signal. There are lots of little boxes out there that work well. I had a Fostex MR8-HD that had a 40G hard drive in it and would record 4 tracks at a time and playback 8. The only thing that made it usable for me was the ability to export the recorded tracks to a computer for processing and mixing. There are smaller boxes that record to memory cards instead of hard drives. I find being able to record less than 4 tracks at once too limiting. Then, there are computers. Simple Garage Band setups work fine for some people, others like full blown Protools setups. I find half of Protools code is designed to protect them from you stealing it rather than being devoted to the task at hand. Their systems can be very finnicky, hard to setup and difficult to maintain. My experience with most of its users is that they are all waiting to "reinstall" it again... someday... trying to get it working somehow. If you decide to use a computer, I recommend staying away from all the USB interfaces out there. Use something with 1394 Firewire. I'm currently using an M-Audio ProFire 610 which is a 4 in 8 out audio interface with a single MIDI port and a stereo SP/DIF in/out. Pretty versatile and it has nice mic preamps on two of the four inputs. They make bigger and smaller versions. The smaller one has an instrument level input which mine lacks but I have gear that has line level outputs for the guitar so I don't miss it. Higher up the food chain from Garage Band software are things like Ableton And Sonar... not as pricey as Protool systems. Protool advocates will swear they're not as good either.

Fenderfied
    Thanks

Midiman.....
    I've just begun recording with a Fostex MR16 which I got cheap to keep track of song ideas..... I thought by now there would have been a "garage band" equivalent for windows and searched (just now) for something like it. Any comment on this? I didn't spend much time at the site, since it probably wouldn't help me much.... I'm a "hands-on" person and a 'pitch' site isn't gonna help me. Does it wave any flags at you? (either way?)

http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jak...indows_xp.html
    Bottle Rocket Scientist.....

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Cyber. For $1,150.00 Digi Command 8 Or add another $1,000.00 and go with the 003 Factory control surface. I would save my $ and go with the 003. Then pick up a pair of powered monitors. You will not be sorry. I have a nice set up and it's a blast.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ron

Fender Lover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoneB View Post
    Cyber. For $1,150.00 Digi Command 8 Or add another $1,000.00 and go with the 003 Factory control surface. I would save my $ and go with the 003. Then pick up a pair of powered monitors. You will not be sorry. I have a nice set up and it's a blast.
    Neat setup Ron :)
    Just play til your fingers bleed, then stop when it hits bone...

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/alanlowe