Thread: Flight cases

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Default Flight cases

G'day everyone!

Sorry I've been MIA for a while, busily putting together a new band, but I've got a new addition to my little collection - a beautiful 51 p Bass.

I've been asked to play some gigs interstate in November and I'm wondering if my new baby will hold up alright in a standard fender hardshell moulded case? I'm a bit wary about putting it in the cargo hold of a plane...

Has anyone got any advice or recommendations about guitars and planes?
    Insert witty comment here:

Super Moderator
    'Caster County, Oregon, USA, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way
    Thanks

Lib, welcome back, mate!

Oooohh... I share your apprehension. I wouldn't trust an airplane with any ax that I valued highly. There are some good flight cases out there, to be sure, and will give you some measure of "security," but no real guarantee. For one thing, airplanes go way up in the air, and basses are made of wood. Radical altitude changes, not good. On top of that, the cargo holds get very cold, very fast. Again, not good.

If I were you, I would take (or get), a serviceable instrument, that if worse comes to worse, you won't have to dismember people over if it gets damaged, knowing you still have your baby back at home waiting for you.

Just a suggestion,
    Stan
    Some contend that rock 'n roll is bad for the body & bad for the soul
    Bad for the heart, bad for the mind, bad for the deaf & bad for the blind.
    It makes some men crazy and they talk like fools.
    Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Well I still have old 'Aretha', but I'd honestly rather never play her again! She looks nice but the neck is so far warped it's not funny. Plywood body...yuck. The pickup I added is nice but it's just got zero sustain. If worse comes to worse I guess I'll take Aretha, but I definately prefer my new baby!

Fender Lover
    Thanks

I wouldn't trust one of those Fender molded cases that were shaped like a guitar, but I wonder how one of those cases that the new American Standard comes in would hold up since it has airline specific locks on it.
    Michael

Friend of Leo
    Thanks

Mmmm I like those cases. A bit pricy in OZ though... I've been told if I gaffa tape the latches down it shouldn't be too bad...